Thursday, September 15, 2011

Live Fan Feedback: Week 3

Comments on the week from our expert panel of reporters, bankers, doctors, lawyers, ad wizards, lawn guys, bond guys, car guys, pilots, priests, principals, builders, teachers, bums, and nomads.

Continually updated throughout the day...


Actually, I think all the Notre Dame fans want you to stop putting their games in here also! -- Brett W.

And this is why I didn’t even bother to put in my vote for the games this week, as I KNEW you would still have Notre Dame (of which I still have no idea which team will show up) and Auburn (which I actually feel better about this week than last) in the pool. -- Jeff K.

ND - Sending up a prayer to St. Jude, the patron saint of lost causes, on this one. -- Senor Daily

I can't believe you put Clemson and Notre Dame in the same pool week. Hurricane Irene, Tropical Storm Lee, tornadoes, heat waves this year. We just had the 10 year anniversary of 9/11. Are you tempting fate? I am concerned all five games will even get played. -- Lee D.

Last weeks victory by Texas brings back memories of my (stupid) decision in September 1987 to attend a similar matchup in favor of seeing the Cult with opening act Guns n Roses. What an idiot! -- E-Man

Woo-Pig!!! This is the last week for the Hogs before conference play begins... we have good momentum building and I think W's are in our future!!! And hopefully a free lunch in mine! Go Hogs! -- Randi P.

My picks = gold. -- Airbrush Artist

-

Jeff G's Weekly Analysis

LSU – I forgot that Manny Diaz went to TX - that makes a difference. I don’t think MSU can hang physically with LSU for the entire game.

Auburn – maybe Clemson will surprise me and hand AU a loss. Then again, maybe not.

MSU – Just as Straessle is obligated to pick the Domers, I am contractually obligated by marriage to pick MSU. Not that I’m confident at all in that pick.

Miami – Miami looked pretty good against Maryland in Week 1…and it was a close game, too.

OU – FSU is overrated and OU doesn’t choke until later in the season.

-


Dear Mr. Dishongh:

This firm represents Greg Bizzoso. If you are represented by legal counsel, please direct this letter to your attorney immediately and have your attorney notify us of such representation.

We are writing to notify you that your unfotunate picking of Clemson in your weekly football pool infringes upon our client’s exclusive rights not to endure the Clemson Curse. Accordingly, you are hereby directed to

CEASE AND DESIST SELECTION OF CLEMSON IN YOUR WEEKLY COLLEGE FOOTBALL POOL, herby known as the Ramon Escobar Football Challenge.

Gregory Bizzoso is the victim of various aspects of The Clemson Curse. Under United States Anti-Voodoo statutes Gregory Bizzoso has been effected negatively in both an emotional and physical manner by your continued selection of CLEMSON.

It has come to our attention that you have been intentionally and willfully selecting Clemson to torment our client, Gregory Bizzoso as well as numerous and untold other participants.

We demand that you immediately (A) cease and desist your unfortunate selection of Clemson and (B) provide us with prompt written assurance within ten (10) days that you will cease and desist from further selection of Clemson in the weeks to come.

If you do not comply with this cease and desist demand within this time period, Gregory Bizzoso is entitled to use your failure to comply as evidence of “willful torment” and seek monetary damages and equitable relief for your willful torment. In the event you fail to meet this demand, please be advised that Gregory Bizzoso has asked us to communicate to you that it will contemplate pursuing all available legal, supernatural and otherwise obnoxious remedies, including seeking monetary damages, injunctive relief, doing the chicken dance and automatically selecting Clemson’s opposition in all future weekly selections and an order that you pay all Gregory’s beer, wing, and blood pressure medicine costs . Your liability and exposure under such legal action could be considerable.

Before taking these steps, however, my client wished to give you one opportunity to discontinue your willful torture by complying with this demand within ten (10) days. Accordingly, please sign and return the attached Agreement within ten (10) days to

Buffalo Wild Wings
180 Route 35 South # 2004A
Monmouth Mall
Eatontown, NJ 07724
(732) 542-9464
If you or your attorney have a great wing recipe or now of a local beer special, please notify me at once.

Sincerely,

Gregory Bizzoso

-

So, it was all a lie and the voting did not count? Reminds me of 2000. -- Kate D.

ND… there was a time that this was a no-brainer, that time has passed. -- Christie H.

Dude, easy picks this time... This week, Brian Kelly will finally realize that he needs to be even more animated on the sidelines. A three hour stream of vein-popping profanities, accompanied by a continuous barrage of flying spittle that would make Mr. Marczuk proud, will finally spur the Irish on to victory. -- Aggie Mark

Not sure what your obsession is with Notre Dame, but I'll pick 'em this week even if I run the risk of validating their continued inclusion... Irish for the win -- Dave M.

Is it wrong that I was looking forward to the first Clemson entry? Damn them. -- Robb O

-

Regards from Big O

Here we go again: 1) LSU (the MSU cow bellers are still hurting from the banging they got from our pups last Saturday -- besides, LSU is probably the best overall team in the SEC, at least until our pups grow some more); 2) Auburn (again, of course; besides we have Gus who, like Obie Wan, is going to take his understudy, Luke Skywalker, back to school); 3) Notre Dame (surprise and proof I'm not anti-Catholic; because even ND can't give away three games in a row and I hear on good account that the Pope -- please note, I capitalized the Pope, which my son failed to do earlier -- has given special dispensation for the coach's public swearing); 4) Miami (really think they are both losers, but OSU is slower and Miami is at home); and 5) Oklahoma (this could be a big surprise as Jimbo has done a good job, but as the front runner, I have an obligation not to get out too far on the picks b y picking against the consensus number one). And no, I'm not going to send my picks out to all concerned as some because I don't want to educate the masses before the Thursday kickoff. Now, if you need some well reasoned material for Poolsville, you might consider Scarbinsky's surprisingly candid article today. One thing I learned from the article I didn't know already was that the NCAA has acknowledged that the Cryer's 3-way telephone conference actually occurred. And incidentally, you really have to get over this "bag man" stick before it gets rancid.

-

My wife's picks are in parenthesis and don't count as my official choice. I'm only including them because if I would have listened to her last week I would have been 5-0. I want to keep track of what picks we have different so I can see if I should start listening to her. -- Brian R.

Clemson - surely satan can't find another way to make his team win again. -- Dr. Aristotle Ditka

-

Mike Paco says:

Master Dishongh, these games suck donkey balls!!!!!!!!!

LSU……….. because after this season we will be replacing their endzone seating!!!!!

Auburn…………. for O Bag man!!!!!!!!

Michigan State because years ago I attended a hockey game there with Professor Rabal………

Miami………… better at compensating players than competition!!!!!!

Oklahoma……… because Zach and Nic had OU hats at one time

-

For the love of God, why are you so anti-Notre Dame? What part of 'Rudy' didn't inspire you? -- Jamie L.

-

Poetry Corner with Danny K

Except for one pick, these are too close to call.
But I have to predict, another Notre Dame fall.
For the rest of these games, I haven't a clue.
From ridiculous Clemson all the way to the U.
But there's just one thing for sure and on this I'm not wrong.
Is my wife fetching beers all Saturday long.

-

In the words of George (Seinfield)... "I'm back baby!!!" It should be a fun year with the footbal team but I have stopped drinking the Kool-aid! Not sure if the D-line is a good as advertised, Wilson is solid but I want to see him perform under some "SEC bullets." I think he takes too long to make decisions, so his time to make those will depend on if we can establish a run game. Which I am not sure the coaches are too worried about. The question I ponder to the group.... "has Childs lost a step or is the other receivers just elevating their games?" -- Double R AKA D Romeo

You show 'em Dishongh! It doesn't matter how many people don't want to see the suck asses from Notre Dame on the schedule again, ever. Poolsville is not a democracy, it's about FOOTBALL !!! -- the Moose, loose

Miami - my son picked them because he likes their dolphin mascot. I told him they were the Hurricanes. He then asked what Ohio State was. I told him they were the buckeyes. He gave me a weird look. I said it’s a type of nut but you can’t eat it. He stuck with Miami. I should have told him that many believe that a buckeye has lucky power. But I had already talked him off one team. Picking ND is like losing a coin toss 50 times when it lands on heads every time and on flip 51 you still pick tails because you're certain this time it will be. -- From the Bench

-

Jeremy's Calling

From a college football perspective, the most interesting thing about my recent trip to California was a) reading about college football without the built-in SEC bias and b) just how little people care. My day trip to Mexico can be summed up this way: I came, I saw, I pooped, but I digress.

I base the former on the LA Times uniformly excellent college football coverage as penned by Chris Dufresne. He's outstanding. He also has Arkansas at No. 20 in the most recent poll I saw. But it wasn't just that, even though as the designated pool heel I must always cheer when the beloved Piggies are denigrated by the national media — hooray! — it is the kind of perspective a person can get from a distance. When you live in a bubble, you start to believe everything in that bubble. You breathe that same oxygen. Elsewhere, the air's different. A hint of ocean, or, perhaps, raw sewage.

The latter is formed by my reading of the local papers — and being a confirmed newspaper junkie, I snatched as many as I could. (On Tuesday, I read five, no wait, six if you count the color leaflet that is the USA Today. Hi, oh zing!)

And outside of local college coverage, that was mostly it, besides Dufresne's stalwart work in the Times. Just a few paragraphs here or there or some outrage about San Diego State and Michigan not being seen in the San Diego metro area.

We have this perception, here in the south, in our little bubble, that college football is king. It really isn't. Pro football, major league baseball, those were the things that carried the sports sections I saw and like I said, I saw plenty of them.

-

Going with Cam Green until I lose a game. My 5-0 last week has me higher in the pool than I have been in a while. Meanwhile, Auburn haters and ND lovers such as yourself find themselves at the bottom. -- Jerry Winner

No comments: