Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Seminole Memory Lane

By John Kriz

Tradition is one reason I love college football over pro football even though my Denver Broncos are undefeated after beating Dallas on Sunday. (Shhhhh, Dallas fans around here second only to Razorback fans.) Hmmmm, maybe I should make sure my life insurance is in order. But I digress.

One thing that I think is pretty cool is a tradition that is knows as the Sod Cemetery at the Florida State football practice fields. A tradition began in 1962 when FSU returned from Athens, Georgia, with a chunk of sod signifying a major upset. Since that humble beginning, major upsets, significant victories, and bowl wins are declared "Sod Games" and celebrated with a piece of sod from the stadium after the victory.

The victorious sod slices are interred in a hedged cemetery plot complete with headstone. I know that you really want to know what were the sod games when yours truly donned the Garnet and Gold. Wonder no more...

1977
FSU 25 Oklahoma State 17
FSU 34 Florida 9
FSU 40 Texas Tech 17 (Tangerine Bowl)

1978
FSU 28 Syracuse 0

1979
FSU 31 Arizona State 3
FSU 24 LSU 19
FSU 27 Florida 16

Just because and I feel I need to make amends for the Gator pick and cleanse my soul, my freshman class in 1977 NEVER lost to the Gators. Oh I feel so redeemed!! Go Noles beat Georgia Tech!!

No comments: