Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Seminole Memory Lane...
or was that Nightmare on Elm Street?

By John Kriz

My freshman year we played LSU in Baton Rogue. Let me tell you, those Cajuns know how to throw a wild party. Well, it just happened to be one of those games where the opposition seemed to do everything right and we did everything wrong. It was the fourth quarter, end of the game and somehow I happened to be noticed sitting on the end of the bench. “Get in there Kriz.”

The helmet went on, the legs started churning. I was pretty excited to say the least! Then it hit me… We were on defense. I was an offensive tackle. (Yeah, I heard all the jokes about being offensive!) They called the defensive formation and set. It was as if the linebacker who made the call was speaking Swahili. I asked my fellow lineman what I was to do and he simply looked at me as if I were speaking Swahili!

Well, at least I did know that when the ball was snapped I am supposed to do my darndest to tackle the person who has it. The ball was snapped and off I went. For reasons unknown but to God, I was untouched and in the backfield looking into the eyes of a running back and the football. Here is my moment of glory. Flashes of my induction speech into the Pro Football Hall of Fame were beginning to take shape. My future would be in professional football.

Alas, it was not to be. The running back ran wide and as if in slow motion – which by the way, my coaches would refer to as my standard speed – the running back turned up field for a large gain. His jersey so close but yet so far. End of game.

Fast forward 24 hours. We are watching films of the Death Valley Debacle (Halloween didn’t have nearly the horror scene that those films had that evening) when the coach said, “Hey look. We have a new player going in.” A vaguely familiar form was seen waddling on to the field. “Let’s see what Kriz can do. Yes, my almost but not quite moment of glory flashed on the screen – much to my chagrin.

Of course coaches at this moment are to spew forth wisdom and instruct to help players improve. But nooooo, not this time! “Oh Kriz, you almost got him. Hey lets see if he can get him this time.” Rewind. Replay. “Darn, missed him again.” “How about now?” Rewind. Replay. Well, at least I was able to provide a little comic relief to my teammates.

NEXT WEEK -- THE CEMETERY

No comments: