Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Letters to Ramon: Week 4

"Having a religious aversion to anything Spurrier, I must go with those convictions and bestow my blessings on Ole Miss (a fine institution in spite of the fact they cannot spell 'Old'). What other team in the nation could wear their throwback unis from 1962 and folks wouldn't know the difference from their regular uniform? I ask you! Gotta go with Joe Pa on this one. No upset special from Dearth Valley. Thanks for doing this... I am having a blast. The smack talk is the best!" -- Seminole Prognosticator

"Last week I overanalyzed and had my worst week ever (ok, I've only been doing this for three weeks, but still). Prior to that my picks had been my first gut reaction. Hopefully Oregon doesn't ruin my weekend two weeks in a row." -- B. Reynolds

"I've tried to maintain the principle that I can win this pool by making the correct pick only 50% of the time. Obviously this isn't the year to try that strategy. Thanks, Mr. Wells! Bonus pick... Oregon's uniform will be pale yellow jerseys, black pants and black helmet. Maybe if Nike spent more time recruiting players instead of designers, Oregon would win the Pac 10 on the year USC decides not to compete." -- Lee D.

"I had a tough time picking the Ole Miss game. But my brother settled it by telling me the Ole Miss cheerleaders have whiter teeth than their counterparts for South Carolina, so therefore, they'll win. Can't argue with that logic." -- Jeff D.

"I think this is the first time Houston has been in this pool. I grew up with the Cougars as my favorite college football team. The first college football game I ever attended was in 1978, Houston vs Arkansas in the Astrodome. My Dad and I were impressed by how many Arkansas fans were there and the spirit they showed. I think the Arkansas QB then was Kevin Scanlon and his daughter Leigh is Grant's First Grade teacher. By the way, I am going 5-0 this week." -- Jerry W.

"Damn Dishongh, another hard pick in which I don't have a clue but I think Va Tech isn't 'all that,' they got lucky this past week. Iowa sucks as much as Vrat 'thought' Gene Chizik would." -- Seve Chang

"Ole Miss – Man, I want to go with SC real bad, but I don’t think Nutt’s bubble will burst this soon. It will burst, though. VTech – Both teams have done me right so far this year, which should be payback from years past. So I figure me and the ACC are even right now. I give the nod to the home team, but with serious reservations. Cal – if you want me to guess at every game, just keep putting in the Pac-10. PSU – no Iowa upset this year. TTech – what’s the over on this? 200? I’ll take it. PS - Is Sullivan allowed to go to public places to watch Red Raiders games or must he be quarantined for public safety reasons? Kinda like putting Cool Hand Luke in The Box before his mother’s funeral – just in case he had some rabbit in him." -- Jeff G.

"Oregon's coach is literally writing checks his team can't cash." -- Ryan H.

"Alert to Rocket fans: Tyler Campbell, Catholic High Class of 2009 and a true freshman at Ole Miss, is slated to be the starting punter in Thursday's game vs. South Carolina. It's the perfect scenario for Rocket fans who are Nutt haters: hope that Ole Miss has to punt a lot." -- Steve S.

"Let's see coach Mediocre keep OM in the Top 25 next season. His recruiting has been pitiful. No Arkansas game? I'm shocked. Take the Hogs and the points. Or wait until Rob Keys' gambling column appears on Arkansas Sports 360 and take his advice. He's a degenerate gambler. And I mean that in the best possible way." -- the guy Schaeffer's never heard of

"South Carolina - HUGE." -- Nathan N.

"I head to Clemson, SC this weekend to cheer on my Horned Frogs (1991 graduate)." -- Party P.

"Watch out for hospital food, it's full of mystery elements. They only exist
in hospitals." -- Uncle Rico

"I have a funny feeling that Iowa's gonna' beat Penn St... hope I don't regret not picking them!" -- Geoff H.

"We are in for a long season, I like the new slogan, 'Free Willy' as our defense looked not up to task for the SEC. I know that Franklin's departure left a void, but come on... What really pisses me off is all the so called fans saying, 'I never enjoyed a loss so much.' If they want to be entertained they should go watch the arena leagues. We gotta run the ball and pressure the QB. I like Mallett, but if our D does not pick up we are gonna kill our defense in every second half this year." -- Double R

"I will never pick Ole Piss (unless I think they will win)." -- Joe Ihatenutt

"Oregon -- if these quacks screw me again, I'm shunning them the rest of the year." -- Mr. Kentucky

"Are you sure it is the oatmeal, or maybe, just getting older." -- School of Noise

"Please tell Danny K that I wasn't aware that Cougar High was still in the running for the Texas High School Championship. But kudos on the big win over St. Pius X!" -- Vincent Kennedy Peppas

"Man, tough week. I'm way out of my league with so few SEC teams..." -- Hilary D.

"What will really add to the heel heat is Ole Miss going undefeated and playing for the national title, while Arkansas is 5-7 and locked out of a bowl. Fingers crossed." -- Shane-O Peppas

"David and Rob better get ready - they are going down or should I say further down!" -- Kay S.

"Looking forward to a Saturday when I can watch a bunch of ball games (on TV) rather than being out of town (even at my beloved Auburn) for the fourth straight weekend. My studied guesses are as follows: 1) South Carolina (upset special for you Nutters and proof I don't always pick my alma maters); 2) Miami (because if VaTech couldn't beat lil Satan, how can they expect to beat a respectable team coached by a very good coach with an impressive QB?); 3) California (because they're the better team in a much over-hyped conference); 4) Penn State (only a Hawkeye could believe otherwise); and Houston (because they have the better offense in an offensive show). Now, for the red meat issue - go Hogs go, beat Bama! And lastly, string Fineboob up for falsely and with malice aforethought attempting, unsuccessfully I might add, to smear Coach Trooper Taylor... will the Tuscalooser pimp not draw the line somewhere? Tata." -- Oscar

"Mark my words, if Oregon doesn't pull this off, I am done with them. I really like the Ducks but if they mess me up for the 3rd week in a row I'm washing my hands of them. Hog Note: Hopefully after the disappointing loss to the Bulldogs last week, good ol Coach Petrino will target the problem area (which includes any and all defensive players and coaching staff) and make necessary adjustments, changes, eliminations, etc. If good ol Coach Pertino will do what is necessary for the team or even possibly take over the defense for a little while, maybe... just maybe, the Hogs will come out on top against the Tide this weekend. With all that being said, I don't mean to come down on the Hog defense. This is not their first time on a field. The mistakes that are being made are sloppy and basic, but most of all fixable. With proper coaching and a little encouragement I think these guys can get the confidence they need to become a stronger defense. Regardless I will continue to keep the faith in my Hogs and after watching them play their last two games I know they are more than capable to put up some W's!" -- Randi P.

"Unfortunately, hectic week so no time for any attempt at commentary - but at least now I know Jeremy is not Mitchy's mom.... investigation pending." -- Jimmie D. of hazynation

"That was one motley herd I witnessed @ Monday Night Raw the other night..." -- Swim

"I hope SC beats the dog piss out of Ole Miss!!!!" -- William F.

"Wuje is a fan of Mizzou, Minnesota and LSU. Wuje dislikes Nebraska, Kansas and Lane Kiffin." -- Wuje

"Ole Piss Oregon The U Penn State Houston - Sometimes a visual is fitting..." -- Mike P.

"By the way, I have to defend my alma mater's mascot per the comment: 'Now on Poolsville: Scott Faldon's weekly five things says Tulsa's new mascot totally sucks.' Captain Cane has the best package in college sports!" -- Jerry W.

"And here's the hilarious story behind the new mascot: Colin Cane, a freshman at The University of Tulsa, worked in IT support at night to help pay his way through college. During an electrical storm one night, Colin was called to the TU sports complex to fix a malfunctioning satellite that was broadcasting a live game. Never again would he watch his favorite team in action as a mere mortal. As he adjusted the satellite, the roar of the crowd coursed through the transmitter just as it was zapped with static electricity from the storm. Colin became entangled in a web of cyber-athletic forces. The atmospheric oddity known as a 'binary vortex' mutated Colin over the course of several years. He eventually lost his hair but gained super-human powers. Thus he became Captain ‘Cane, a champion athlete and highly educated zealot of all things TU." -- Seve Chang

No comments: