Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Pilgrimage to Razorback Stadium

Thought I'd share some random thoughts from my annual pilgrimage to Razorback Stadium this past Saturday to see the Hogs play the Leathernecks. My two brothers and I along with my four year old(Jack), made the trip. We left around noon and the drive up was pleasant. Stopped at Whataburger for a bite to eat, saw too many state troopers(boy they have nice cars), took a short nap and arrived at Lot 56 around 4 p.m. My brother Dan's company has a nice tailgate that we invaded and grabbed a couple of pops. There space is in that new picnic grounds. I think Lindsey and/or Tyson had something to do with it. It's a nice space. Lined with E-Z Up tents and kids playing in front of a stage where a live band is playing rock favorites. It was Arkansas hot and humid, but the shorts and t-shirt helped keep it cool. Jack made instant friends with another boy and ran around until he turned red and was about to pass out. Finally made our way to the stadium around 5 p.m. and ran into a group of Leathernecks waiting for the shuttle bus to the stadium. Had a nice conversation about the school and the team. For those Marines, the Western Illinois Leathernecks have obtained permission to use the name. Something about an act of Congress to allow it. I don't know if I believe about that, but we'll let it slide. The stadium was alive. The crowd was enthused. Definitely not a football crowd. Too many families and kids with texting devices. We took our usual seats in the top row of the east side, just prior to the luxury boxes. The sun was directly in our face and a woman, her 10 year old son and 15 year old daughter sat in front of us. The girl immediately pulled out her IPhone and started texting. Not five minutes after they sat down, the mother stood up and said, we're leaving, it's too hot here. We never saw her again. This phone phenomenon is something I haven't paid much attention to, but I remember BR pointing it out in his weekly column. I think he calls it the Bentonville Princesses playing Tetris. Well let me tell you, the Princes play it too. The kid next to me and his dad were playing Brickbreaker during the fourth quarter as the Leathernecks went up by 10. I couldn't believe it. I tried to shield Jack, so he wasn't confused about why we attend a football game. Luckily, during the fourth quarter comeback, my brother Pete's enthusiasm, enlightened Jack into calling the Hogs and cheering them onto victory. We even got some cold air falling out of the sky boxes from time to time, to make it somewhat comfortable. To the lady who left early, you missed out. I hope your daughter got through to her friend to relay the fact she saw Tammy buying a Polish Sausage at the concession stand. That girl, so doesn't need a Polish. I say every Princess and Prince needs to pick up a Polish, drop those IPhones and root them Hogs. Later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, from the time you start talking about the girl and her iPhone to the end, that is pure comedy. And it's funny because it is too true. I am guessing you won't see as many people playing Brickbreaker at War Memorial Stadium on Saturday.

Rubber Gloves said...

i plan on using my iPhone while attending this season's Hog games, but not to play Breakout, Lunar Lander, or even Gorf. Instead, I will use it to check live scores of other games, because the stadium scoreboards (in both NWA and LR) and the PA score updates SUCK IT. I will also use my phone to "hook it up" half time.