Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The cruel irony in the quest for Ramon

You're my boy Blue!


Handicapping. Guessing. Call it what you want to. One element that always comes into play when picking games is the heart. That odd little feeling your team can't possibly lose. I know I am guilty of it and I would bet you are too. Are there really 35 Kentucky fans in the pool this year? Nope. Just 35 guys and gals who know when it comes to Arkansas football the little Hoggies can rip your heart out no matter what the stats point to. 35 who know damn well when we lose one we lose two. Make that 36...but these are MY Hoggies, at home with UK. UK? They play thump thump, not the foosball.

There is no bigger Hog fan than me. Well maybe but as Kipley Dynamite says "Like there is anyway to even know that." I assure you there is no bigger Ryan Mallet fan. None.

Thus the irony. Look at the leader board of the Ramon Escobar Trophy. You won't see Mike P up there. Why? Because I pick like a homer. A stupid homer. Then I pick like a bettor. A stupid bettor.

So if this stupid Homer went with his head and not his heart who would be leading with 33 points? Mike P. That's what I get for thinking Meechigan could bounce back from the Appy loss and rip Oregon a new one. I mean, Mike Hart and Jake Long said they would. They have my boy looking on, ready to go in at a moments notice. Saban and Bama? Getting by on name recognition, surely not talent. We have McHei5man for goodness sake! We have FJ for crying out loud! We are going to beat Bama. We didn't? Then we will surely shake off the hangover and kick the crap out of UK. right? WTF? And even with Mallett, PSU should beat them slightly. No question. Come again? They beat PSU? Oy Vey.

I can't win. Why have my Hogs and Mallett forsaken me?

I bet you are in the same boat. Well, except Vratsinas...but wait until Iowa is on the tote. Iowa can surely beat a Purdue or Wisconsin. Can't they?

This is why college football is the best sport in the world...and the most maddening.

1 comment:

Pool Jones said...

Excellent commentary.