Friday, September 30, 2011

Live Fan Feedback: Week 5

Comments on the week from our expert panel of reporters, bankers, doctors, lawyers, ad wizards, lawn guys, bond guys, car guys, pilots, priests, principals, builders, teachers, bums, and nomads.

Continually updated throughout the day...


I've gone 0 and 3 in Clemson games before but I don't think it was ever in a 3 week period. -- Woody

-

Jeff G Weekly

These are good ones. I could go 5-0 as easily as 0-5.

Hogs - even beat up, I like our chances. Esp. after watching OSU torch A&M at the end of last week's game.

MSU - Sparty better step up, dammit.

VTech - No matter what I do, I will be wrong. I will point out that Clemson is on the road this week for the first time. So they'll win, but not cover the spread - just to screw me and Vegas. So I'll go with the Hokies. Reverse psychology. If you're confused after reading this, join the club. Damn you, Clemson.

'Bama - tough call.

The Cheese a/k/a Wisconsin. I do not like the Badgers. We Marquette students routinely fought UW students - literally - when they came to Milwaukee. They were tougher than the Domers (who eventually just stopped visiting Milwaukee), that's for sure. I wish this game was in Lincoln, but alas.

-

The minute I think they are for real, they will blow it, but I am going to try anyway - Clemson for the win. -- Dave M

-

Redonkulous!!!!!!!!

Here are my picks:
1. Clemson
2. Clemson
3. Clemson
4. Clemson
5. Clemson

-- G Biz

-

Pacheco's Picks to Go

Texas A&M - Welcome to the SEC. Wish could say Arkansas but don't see it, but hey my average this year is 1-4

Michigan State - Attended hockey game with Professor Rabal years ago…………… hate Herbstreet and hate ohio state‼‼!

Clemson - Because they beat the bag man at his own game

Alabama - Because the west is better than the east

Wisconsin - it is home to the fictional place called Genoa City………… Young and the Restless

-

Great job on the Empire State of Mind remix. Although I find it hard to believe you came up with that all by yourself. -- Brendan O [EDITOR'S NOTE: Believe dat!]

F-ing Clemson (yes, I said Clemson... but only by picking them am I guaranteeing they put up a "L". The rest of teh pool can thank me on Monday) -- G Biz

Funny... I think you left a few blame games off the list... How about Martinez stupid fumbling problems... How about Martinez weird side-arm bs throwing motion... How about all the Jumping Around in Madison... How about the Wisconsin Democratic Caucus up and leaving in the middle off the halftime marching band show? -- Husker Ryan

Hooray, more Clemson. The ultimate pool-busting team. In AUBURN news: Every time I see someone wearing Auburn gear in town, I want to scream, "Are you a Davis?" at them. In more AUBURN news: anyone else hoping Arkansas goes on a three-game slide and loses this week to A&M and then to Auburn just to see if the streets will run red with the blood of suicidal Hog fans? I do! -- Jeremy P

Time for the Ags to get off the schneid in the SW Classic. -- Aggie Mark

-

Regards from the Big O

Another interesting group of picks...thanks for not including the AU/South Carolina game since I'm not sure we can win (although I have hopes and our win record since the last loss to SC is longer than most pool members are old). I had, however, hoped you would list the Georgia game so I could use the most apt summary of the peach dogs I've seen in years (not original with me): "Them ain't big dogs...them's just Jawga dogs...them dawgs don't bite."

Turning to the task at hand, here are my picks for this week: 1) Texas A&M (although I would normally expect the Hogs to win, due to both defensive ends off a some what deficient defense aren't playing and real questions exist as to whether the Hog's offense is as good as last years, I have to go with the home team advantage, especially if the first half team from last week's aTm/OSU shows up); 2) Ohio State (because they are dotting the "i" at home and MSU remains somewhat questionable to me); 3) Clemson (because those tigers are much better this year and by taking FSU as I predicted last week, they have perhaps the best team in the ACC); 4) Alabama (because I'm not sure the gators defense is as good as their stats appear and, besides, LSU is going to take care of the Tawd's overly hyped offense and defense in a few weeks now that LSU's best QB will be back -- moreover, the defeat of an undefeated Tawd by LSU will drive their delusional fans even more crazy due to unfulfilled expectations); and 5) Wisconsin (because right now they appear to share with LSU the status of being the best football teams in 2011).

Now that the work is done, let me also share with you the best political bumper sticker I've heard about: "Cain vs. Unable." You've got to admit that's clever. Regards and give Daly's coin my best.

-

Glenn B's NCAAFConverter

NCAAFConverter is turned off this morning while I work on evicting a few non-payment types (a/k/a rent dodgers) from a trailer park. So here are my humble picks, selected without help of my nifty machine (which is probably a good thing; the Converter gave no guidance on OSU-TAMU or Arkie-Bama, and it went 1 for 3 on the rest (how could "Indian in Death Valley" have missed the mark??).

1. Arkansas - Texas A&M

I'll take Arkansas. We have tickets to the game so if we're trailing late, I may have my wife hop the rail and run around on the field wrapped in nothing but an Arkansas Razorbacks beach towel from WalMart; maybe that'll spark the team.

2. Michigan State - Ohio State

I'll take Michigan State.

3. Clemson - Virginia Tech

Having learned my lesson twice in a row, I'll take Clemson. I may not be an early adapter but I'm no dummy. By the way, you know the story about how Clemson got its name. It used to be the University of Clem, but the Regents thought the name was too humble so they conducted an on-campus contest many years ago to rebrand the school. "Clemson" was the winning entry, and not just because the name sounds much better, but because the letters actually stood for some of the lofty goals the school set for itself and its alumni (spirit, honor, knowledge).

4. Alabama - Florida

I'll take Alabama. The Tide will drop at least one game this year, but this is not the one.

5. Nebraska - Wisconsin (Nebraska worth four points)

I have to go with the Cornhuskers, especially since you have all those shiny bonus points hung on them. Nebraska has a lot to play for and they may very well play beyond their normal human abilities in unexplicable fashion. This not to say they got greatness in them (greatness apparently dwells only in Clemson at the moment) but for tomorrow's game, I'm not betting against them.

-

The buckeys sucked against Miami... of all teams..... Who were beat by k. state....... of all teams.... The line is interesting on that game to say the least.... -- Sal

-

Poetry Corner with Danny K

Football kicks off at 11.
I'll definitely be drinking by then.
And by the time Nebraska takes on Wisconsin,
I'll be giving my wife the Big 10.

-

I still have the faith... I will always have the faith... WE CAN DO THIS!!! GO HOGS! We really beat ourselves last week: couldn't make a tackle, couldn't hold the line, couldn't make a run...we beat ourselves! These are basic fundamentals that every team must have going into any game! If we can keep our fundamentals on the top of our minds and apply a little think about the play before we take position then we can take A&M, I know it! -- Randi P

No comments: