Thursday, September 08, 2011

Live Fan Feedback: Week 2

Comments on the week from our expert panel of reporters, bankers, doctors, lawyers, ad wizards, lawn guys, bond guys, car guys, pilots, priests, principals, builders, teachers, bums, and nomads.

Continually updated throughout the day...


Like there's any option besides B in my household. My mother, self-proclaimed Mark Richt's biggest fan, was lighting the "Fire Mark Richt" texts by three minutes into the second quarter on Saturday. It breaks my heart a little. But there are few things I hate more than the idea of Spurrier winning anything between the Sanford Stadium hedges. -- Hilary D.

Michigan because I've only picked an ND game correctly once in four years. -- Senor Jeff

-

Faldon's Additional Thoughts

Mississippi State - I don't care what ESPN calls it, the 11:30 a.m. game will always be the Jefferson Pilot Game of the Week to me.

South Carolina - An SEC sweep of Poosville games!?! I'm doomed for these predictions.

Texas - You think Texas is regretting that whole Longhorn Network thing now? I mean, it's bad enough when A&M decides to divorce you. It's even worse when the Iowa States and Texas Techs are threatening to file lawsuits if they don't get to stay with you. Jerry Springer couldn't sort this mess out.

-

Man, I suck at this! At least your pool leaves me with NO desire to ever gamble on sports! -- Alex O.

In my time in the pool, I have not seen two worse teams in any one week than Notre Dame and Michigan. I truly believe that the atrociousness of these two teams outweighs the tradition enough for them to not be in the pool. But maybe that's just me. -- Brendan O.

I was flying home from Paris last Sunday when I realized I'd forgotten to send in my picks. I let slip a few expletives in the cockpit (I fly for American Airlines) and my flying partner said, "What's wrong!" Visibly upset, I told him I forgot to send in my picks. He didn't seem to grasp the gravity of the situation even after I explained the pool in great detail. He seemed more concerned with the fact that I'd startled him. Some people! Anyway, my first picks of the year follow. Picking Notre Dame consistently has left me feeling like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football while Lucy holds." -- David H.

While I will choose ND to win this game, I am waging my own (silent) protest against all future ND games selected for the pool. Clearly the most frustrating and befuddling of matchups involve ND. Word. -- Gator Brooks

I have a new tutor, and I think she will be fine for the duration of the season. Correction, she will be my advisor for the rest of the season since she has a PhD from the School of Noise and she snatched the pebble from my hand. -- School of Noise

-

Jeff G.'s Winners

MSU - not impressed with Auburn - at all. Although I would probably take them to beat that spread.

'Bama - Hopefully a good, old-fashioned SEC ass-kicking is in store for another Big Ten poser. I can’t remember - is PSU in the Leaders or the Legends division?

USC - The UGa unis made it last week's game difficult to watch. Luckily the team was so bad that it made easy my choice to change the channel. USC didn’t look like world beaters vs ECU, but I think they can put a nail in UGa's coffin.

UT - John Smith shined down on BYU last week, but two weeks in a row might be too much to ask. It's not like he's God or anything.

Michigan - Lock of the Week. The Domers can't keep up with UM on either side of the ball.

-

I'm off to the best start of my career. Always wondered what the rest of the world looked like from the vantage point of the leader board. Wells was disappointed in his picks from last week. Says he was shooting for 0-5 but accidentally picked one winner. Jackass. The internet is running smooth again and the Rockets travel to #4 North Little Rock Friday night. Game prediction: Rockets 28, Charging Wildcats 24. -- Rocket-Man

-

Regards from the Big O

It looks like Sue and I will be leaving early Friday for the Loveliest Village of the Plains and the MSU challenge for our 21 Freshmen who played their first game last Saturday (that doesn't include the multiple RS Freshmen that also played). Accordingly, here are my selections for this week: 1) Auburn (is a reason necessary -- if so, in part to tell Coach Mullen's wife, who probably initiated much of the Cam misinformation, that we really appreciate her efforts); 2) Alabama (almost brought back the stomach pains the meds have diminished to type that blasphemous selection, but as much as I don't think sa$en's minions are unbeatable, the JoePas aren't the one to do it first); 3) South Carolina (because this will be the second nail in the Uthuga's coach's demise this year and the cocks have the SEC's '10 best coach); 4) Texas (just because one can come back against Ole Miss doesn't mean BYU can take on successfully the entire High School football farm system for the State of Texas' golden boys); and 5) Michigan (because the Gipper is long dead and buried).

-

I will be in the Michigan alumni section - usually we get good camera coverage due to the many hookers and generally slutty women the university provides for us. Look for me! -- E-Man

-

Glenn B's NCAA app

Well, NCAAFConverter, while showing promise, is still not ready for primetime. After successfully picking the winners in both Week 1 bonus point games (USF Bulls buck the Leprechaun, Buttercup the Bulldog looked as as pathetic in real life has he (she?) did in the back of a lower Manhattan vintage Ford Bronco. But the Converter failed to appreciate that the Cougars had Nutt's number in Oxford (http://www.cougarnuts.com/) and that the move-in ready Baton Rouge dream home at 555 South Eugene was in fact a "handyman's dream" with major structural damage. And although NCAAFConverter accurately predicted Maryland over Miami, the post-game obvious conversion result should have been Two-Face of DC Comics fame (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-Face).

Time has been short this week so other than a few whacks at NCAAFConverter down in the basement lab, I'm just setting it to "run" again - let's see what pops out.

1. Mississippi State - Auburn (Tigers worth three points)

NCAAFConverter : RND 13 Bulldogs v Sea Eagles; a National Rugby League match from earlier this year in which the Canby Sea[War] Eagles eviscerated the Manly Bulldogs. Actually, I did not know how this ended until I watched the highlight reel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HalRvj5EjIs) but after watching the slaughter, all I can do is take AUBURN and the bonus point, thank you very much.

2. Alabama - Penn State (Nittany Lions worth four points)

NCAAFConverter : Lions v. Elephant. Of all the battles that exist in the in the natural world none is more titanic than lions versus elephants and truth be told, you don't need to click on this link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOE4RzS7JPY) or any of the other 47 "Lion v. Elephant" video clips on YouTube because you already know in your heart how it ends - with a shot of a fat lion hanging off the branch of some scraggly African tree picking elephant remnants out of his teeth. So I'll take PENN STATE and the bonus points, thank you very much.

3. South Carolina - Georgia

NCAAFConverter : French Bulldog VS. Damn Chicken (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yftsgFfwRJk) and I'll tell you, with this one, the Converter is firing on all cylinders. First, note the way at the beginning of the clip the rooster is not even paying attention to the bulldog (Buttercup?) until she lobs in a jaunty yap yap yap. The tension grows throughout the clip but the video unfortunately ends right before the damn chicken has had enough and pecks out Buttercup's eyes. Old Ball Coach will do the same to Richt tomorrow, so I'll take SAKERLINA, thank you very much.

4. BYU - Texas (Cougars worth three points)

NCAAFConverter : Cougar Cattle Call — Docu To “Empower” Single MILFs. What can I say, that's what the Converter came up with. But even though the article goes on to report that a bunch of hapless British producers were having trouble finding cougars to shoot for a planned Los Angeles documentary on "girlfriends who are great looking and who date younger guys and who younger guys seem to be attracted to", I'm going to go with my gut on this one; I see Cougar success on the horizon (http://www.huntingcougar.com/2009/09/28/cracking-the-group/). (In unrelated news, there is nothing to see here (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/tfr/307225854.html). Really. Nothing at all.)

5. Notre Dame - Michigan

NCAAFConverter : [Obvious malfunction]. Maybe the machine is gummed up after successfully predicting a Bulls win over Our Lady; this week, NCAAFConverter would only link to Mobile, Alabama Leprechaun Crackhead Pot of Gold (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM7CL-Vyo1U). Maybe there is a messag here but I don't see it. I'm on my own on this one, so I'll take MICHIGAN, thank you very much. Blue is back.

-

Why the love for ND? Catholic people sux! -- Joe C.


I had a long talk with Ethan, whose only goal is to do better than me. Ha, it won't be that easy! Let Ethan wallow in his dispair after ND get's belly punched like a crack whore by Michigan. I guess his trip to Detroit won't be so fun after all. -- Moose

-

Poetry Corner with Danny K

Once again they pissed me off
I can't stand Notre Dame.
I won't make that mistake again
The "Fighting" Irish are lame.

For four big points, screw the SEC
If Penn State wins I will cheer.
Then slap my wife on the ass, grab a handful of %*%s
And tell her to fetch me a beer.

No comments: