Thursday, November 04, 2010

Live Fan Feedback: Week 10 Thursday

Comments on the week from our expert panel of reporters, bankers, doctors, lawyers, ad wizards, lawn guys, bond guys, car guys, pilots, priests, principals, builders, teachers, bums, and nomads.

Continually updated throughout the day...

Factoid: OSU was also the ticker for Outback Steakhouse back when it was still a public company. -- Bizzy B

-

Faldon's Other Five Thoughts:

Oklahoma State — I'm sure you've seen the "House Divided" license plates. Here along the Western Wall of Arkansas, we see them for Arkansas/OU, OU/Oklahoma State, Arkansas/Oklahoma State quite a bit. I've even seen an Arkansas/Arkansas State version. But every time I see one I can't help but wonder if you can get just any two teams on them. For example, could I get a "House Divided" Harvard/UALR or MIT/UA Fort Smith? Moreover, what's wrong with these people who put those plates on their vehicles? The primary driver of said vehicle gets fan ownership rights. So take those silly "House Divided" plates off the front of your car. Put your team on there and tell your spouse to do the same to his/her car, truck or mini-van. The house might be divided, but it's silly for the car to be.

Alabama - Odds Les Miles makes an inexplicable coaching move? 1/1. Odds that inexplicable coaching move miraculously helps his team? 2/1. Odds The Dean cashes a winning ticket on any of Saturday's Breeder's Cup races? 5/1.

TCU - The game of the week is being shown where? I've got roughly 313 channels on DirecTV, but I'm not sure if CBS College Sports is one of them. I think it might be hidden away down in the 600s between the huntin' & fishin' channels and the skateboarding channel, but not as far down the grid as the three soccer channels. Good luck finding it on your TV, it might be the most entertaining game of the weekend.

South Carolina - Arkansas has yet to beat a quality opponent this year.

Stanford - San Francisco Bay>Sonoran Desert

-

I love the people that still want to put so much emphasis on strength of schedule. Boise St and TCU are criticized for playing bad teams at times, but nobody says anything about an SEC team playing Georgia State or Tenn-Chatt. Seems like a double standard! -- Party P

Here's an interesting dissection of the accomplishments of the top BCS teams this year so far. -- Big O

-

Aggie Mark's Election Week picks:

Republicans win. Stock market rallies for bulls, not Bears. Okie St rolls

Lousiana is a red state, but Alabama is so red it's crimson. Darth Saban beats LSU.

Aggie (Rick Perry) stays in the governor's seat. Texans are brilliant. Frogs over Utes.

No legalized pot smoking in California, so the oxygen masks on the sidelines will not be replaced with bongs. Stanford wins.

And finally, in honor of Harry Reid's victory in Nevada, the Cocks win.

-

The first few weeks of this season, I picked based purely on my first reaction when I saw the matchups. The last few weeks, I reverted to my failed practices of last year where I actually did research on the teams before picking. The results seem to speak for themselves, so this week I've returned to the "don't look up a damn thing about the teams" method of choosing. Hopefully, this will get me back on the winning track. -- Brian R.

-

Seminole Memory Lane from the Seminole Prognosticator:

Football just isn't the same without the wit and wisdom of Bobby Bowden to entertain us. It is time we hear from the coach...

"He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words."

"A better ending could not have been scripted. Of course, if we had won, that would have been better."

"Don't go to the grave with life unused."

-

Regards from the Big O:

While I agree totally with the idea that the Mythical National Championship should be decided on the field rather than by computer and the Bosie States/TCUs of the world should get a shot when deserved over also-rans like Pittsburgh, the computer has got it mostly right so far as strength of schedule should favor undefeated SEC members and even undefeated Pac 10 members (although the latter is more debatable) if there is to be no playoff. Frankly, but not surprisingly, I think some of the other once defeateds are better than the Tahd and should be rated higher, but that may well take care of itself when bammer meets both Mississippi State and LSU. Safely back from the home of Shepherd Smith with their scalp safely tied to our belt, we look forward to resting Cam, et al as much as possible since I think we can defeat UC for the 21st time with even our third stingers. Now, if I can only figure out how to order pay-for-view on U-Verse this weekend, I'll just settle in for a quite Saturday afternoon/evening on TV rather than enjoying tailgating with Lee's Phi Tau buddies. These are hopefully the winning picks for this week: 1) Oklahoma Sate (because the Green Bears are having to play the game in Oklahoma, thus depriving them of the power of "Aqua Buddah"); 2) LSU (because even The Hat can't afford another loss at home to Saebar when he has an effective defense -- other than against the Best Tigers in the SEC -- to offset his lousy QBs); 3) TCU (because it's truly their time to beat Utah with defense); 4) South Carolina (because the Hogs don't travel as well as they play at home and the home of Fort Jackson plays well at their house); and 5) Stanford (because they are also better at home than Arizona is on the road). That's all for now, but I must add that my boy from LRCA shore did us proud last weekend... War Cam Eagle and Run Michael Run -- I understand he likes Mike better but Michael will look real good on a future Heisman Trophy if he continues to do better than even Bo or Ingram in their freshman years.

-

All the way from Disney World. Don't have time to research, read, or even flip a coin. Here's my best guess... I'll be listening on my long drive back to Arkansas on Saturday. -- Husker Ryan

This is a very difficult week. My loathing of Texas helps with two games, but what about Alabama-LSU? I hate each equally. Oh what to do, what to do. -- Amy S.

-

Jeff G's Weekly Analysis:

I can’t seem to break back into the top tier. My title hopes are fading faster than Wade Phillips’ job security.

OSU – the Cowboys have let me down about as often as UGa, but I keep coming back for more. This time I feel pretty good that Baylor is a pretender, though.

‘Bama – I just don’t see LSU scoring here.

TCU – one team that has done me right over the last couple of years has been TCU. I’m going to keep riding this horny toad.

USC – loss of Childs is rough. In light of UGa’s sucking this year, Petrino still has not proven that he can win on the road. I’ll take USC to cover.

Stanford – ‘cause I said so.

-

Best rekognize cuz DJ-U is gonna be reprezentin HogNation on the 50 yard-line Row 5 of Williams-Brice stadium on Saturday. I'll be all lit up on Jack Daniel's and lookin to land in someone's jail. -- DJ U-Explicit Johnson

No comments: