Thursday, October 28, 2010

Live Fan Feedback: Week 9

Comments on the week from our expert panel of reporters, bankers, doctors, lawyers, ad wizards, lawn guys, bond guys, car guys, pilots, priests, principals, builders, teachers, bums, and nomads.

Continually updated throughout the day...

Georgia over Florida - and who would have thought at the beginning of this season that each of these teams is now genuinely happy to be playing the other this weekend! Oregon over USC - Lane Kiffin and his undermanned team is sick and tired of losing, which does not count for squat when your opponent has feathers on its shoulder-pads. -- Glenn B.

-

A sad time for me last Saturday
As I watched my Longhorns give it away.
The offense sucked, the defense too.
Even the special teams made me blue.
But a 5 and 0 week would be good don'tcha know
And keep the wife beatin' to an all-time low.
-- Danny K.

-

Regards from Big O:

Sure got my comeupance last week so I'll try to curb my naturally adventuresome picking of winnwers -- emphasis on "try". Beating LSU had its advantages... absolutely no one this week has mentioned the refs at Auburn, although the group we had last weekend were rather questionable as well. The one applicable trueism is that good teams seem to overcome whatever the challenges, and we have so far. This week's game with many of our posters' former favorite Hog coach has "trap game" written all over it, especially with what has happened to recent frontrunners. AU, by all appeareances to those ITAT insiders I tend to trust, seems to be taking these lusty heights one game at a time. If they do it on the field next Saturday evening, it looks like they will definitely (with Chattanooga next) achieve the expectation I had for them this year, namely 10 wins during the season. But with me, as with most of our fans, we're beginning to believe this team may be something really special... and we know Cam is now and Michael will be barring injury. Well, enough of that; here are my picks for this weekend: 1) Florida State (actially Jimbo has done a rather good job and I expect him to continue, even away from home); 2) Georgia (this is a really hard one, but assuming most of UGA's parolees are cleared to make the trip, they seem to be getting better week by week -- I expect them to give us all we want at home in early November); 3) Nebraska (especially playing at home, I'll have to go with the favorite here, based upon comparative defenses); 4) Iowa (although their inconsistency could hurt them even at home against a good Big 10 -- if there is such a thing playing a good outsider -- team with some speed); and 5) USC (based solely on home field advantage and the fact that Oregon -- as so when USC was the lead dog in the past -- always seems to snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory). 'Nuff said. Onward Saturday morning to the lovely Oxford with intent to deal a death blow to the Right Reverend whom I really find distasteful. War Cam Eagle, Run Michael Run and Sack Fairly Sack!

-

Faldon's Other Five Thoughts:

Florida State - The Seminoles are graduating 64 percent of their football players. Arkansas is graduating 55 percent of its football players, who have thought Arkansas would have a better graduation percentage than SEC percentage at this point of the season?

Georgia — So the hip trend among the kids is Four Loko? (For the Dean of Arkansas sportswriters, an explanation: It's a alcoholic drink loaded with caffeine that comes in frou-frou flavors like watermelon, cherry and others designed to appeal to underage kids, college girls and men who have zero self-esteem.) I don't understand the appeal of combining booze and caffeine. Have a few Jagerbombs (Red Bull and Jagermeister) and try to sleep. You wind up staring at the ceiling as the booze wears off and the hangover begins. Or so I've heard.

Missouri - Solely for the bonus points.

Iowa - Again, solely for the Hawkeyes classic uniforms. They look like champions, even if they don't play like them.

Oregon - Redwoods > Hollywood

-

The line on the Oregon-USC game is only 7? Are you kidding me? It should be 37!!! Here's to another 1-4 week! ("If everything instinct you have is wrong, then the opposite would have to be right." - Jerry to George.) -- Alex Player

I think I'm heading for 0-5 this week. You are picking some really good games. Well done! -- SHM III

-

Jeff G's Weekly Analysis

NC State – I think the Pack has something this year.

UGa – I’ve been burned by UGa many times in the past but I keep coming back for more. What’s that definition of insane? Something about doing something over and over but expecting a different result?

Nebraska – I know nothing about the Big 12 so I’m going with the homer. Again. Like OSU last week. See note above.

MSU showed me something last week coming back from 17-0 in Evanston. Previous teams would have fallen apart. After Iowa, MSU plays Minnesota, Purdue and Penn State. So this might be for the Big Ten. My father-in-law, probably in a drunken boast, promised to take my wife and brother-in-law to the Rose Bowl if MSU ever got there. We’ll see.

Oregon – can’t say I know anything about the Pac-10 either. Which makes me wonder if I know what I’m talking about at all. One thing I do know: USC Song Girls.

-

Seminole Prognosticator's Winning Picks:

I may start slow, I may be slow, but, well, er... Ok I am slow but I am coming on and the Seminole Prognosticator will not be denied this year!! Yes, Florida State seems to be regaining a bit of the Glory Days (humble tribute to The Boss) but NC State seems to cause us fits over the last couple of years..... BUT NOT THIS YEAR!!!

Florida State

What am I to do.... a loyal Seminole contemplating the Gagtors for an unpset.... decisions, decisions...

Florida (Ugggh, I have to go wash my hands, I feel so dirty)

I was shocked at Missouri against OU, normally would have to pick the Huskers but not this week...

Missouri

MSU has made a believer outta me!!

Michigan State

Oregon - USC (Unless Mitch Mustain's mom comes out of the stands and blasts Kiffen for not starting her son in this game. Is Mustain still at USC? What if Mustain's mom started at quarterback? (Read this in your best Southside Chicago accent... If there were two hurricanes and one was named Mustain's mom and one was named Ditka, who would win?..... DITKA!!)

No comments: