Thursday, September 23, 2010

Live Fan Feedback: Thursday prediction line

Comments on the week from our expert panel of reporters, bankers, doctors, lawyers, ad wizards, lawn guys, bond guys, car guys, pilots, priests, principals, builders, teachers, bums, and nomads.

Continually updated throughout the day...

Beating me is about to get tough… We now have enough data to start using my 4 variable data-based selection system that I created two years ago when I almost won this damn thing… lost by one point… one measly point. Alabama losing to Utah was the killer. Messed with the algorithm last year and that was a disaster… so we’re going back to our roots baby. -- Sal

You da man giving us bonus points for picking the Hogs! -- Jimmy Page

Looks like it’d be really easy to go 0-5 this week. Though a long season, I might have to lower the bar and just focus on beating Sal. Good luck to the Hogs! What say you start putting Mountain times for the games? -- C. Fish

-

From the Bench Bonus Edition:

This will be the week that takes a lot of people down because things will happen that are not expected. Those at the top have been riding the favorites. Will not happen this week, but I will not follow my own advice and go with three favorites.

Miami - I like Jacory Harris even though he is an interception king. Miami may not lose the rest of the season.

Alabama - Anyone picking Arkansas in this game is doing it with their heart. I will say that it is an intriguing matchup with two Heisman candidates. Two different styles of play. And a great receiving corps going against a great defense with athletic but inexperienced secondary. The intangible, it’s at Fayetteville, which has proven to be a difficult place for the Hogs to win a big game. The Hogs have to look at this as a road game making it improbable.

Notre Dame - Talk about conflicted. My Brain Trust has led me twice wrong on Notre Dame, picking them both times in their losses. They even told me it was a lock last week. You have whip sawed the Brain Trust. They are telling me Stanford will win. They are even saying it’s the lock of the year. So do I go with the law of averages that ND will finally win in the pool for me, or that the Brain Trust will finally get one right about ND? I am going with ND. Everyone thinks they are bad now because their record is 1-2, but reality is they are good enough and only seconds away from being undefeated -- and that’s reality not emotion. If they had been blown out, I would say they were a bad team. Plus, most don’t think about it, but the Big Ten is out to get Notre Dame, having been snubbed by them not once, not twice, but several times, so they got stuck with Nebraska.

South Carolina - Toughest game to pick. Auburn is coming off a huge emotional win against the team that has a lake on its campus. The Gamecocks also play great defense. I think they give Gus a hard time. South Carolina in a close one.

LSU - Easiest game to pick. LSU has not lost at night in the Stick since I was born. Amazingly, some will still pick West Virginia.

-

College Football Pool Poem, Week 4

Two other times my heart's been right,
Picking against the Irish who fight.
I don't know if they'll win this game,
But I'm taking Stanford, not Notre Dame.

-- Danny K.

-

Stanford-Notre Dame: Another ugly game between a “has been” Midwestern school vs. a bunch of smart people… we want a real football game! West Virginia-LSU: WV will get a serious beatdown. However, WV will feel right at home with all of the inbreeding that both schools offer. -- Joe C.

Using my better judgement this week, I'm not picking Arkansas. Go Raiders!! -- School of Noise

Let's look at this logically, Arkansas has not proven they can run the ball or control the clock to control the game. On the flip side, they have also not proven they can stop the run and have been prone to big plays every game. Bama can grind it out on the ground, keeping the offense off the field and then strike with a big play. So the choice is obvious -- winner = Arkansas. Stanford - Notre Dame -- Not this time Dishongh - winner = Stanford. -- David M.

I'm going with Alabama because I figure most of your contestees will be with Arkansas and I need to pick up some ground. But I will be rooting for the Hogs. - Richard B.

Don't act like you're not oddly attracted and hopeful that it does become a weekly submission. -- DJ U-Explicit Johnson

Of course, you had to put AU in the mix this week. I like USCe, but it is hard to pick against my Tigers. Good luck against uat, though I am not sure if you have enough. -- Jeff K

Alabama (Can’t go with Ar-Kansas as Mallett plays and looks like Herman Munster); Stanford (ND still smarting over that emotional loss); Auburn (Malzahn (sp) is a genius); LSU (barely wins with that anemic offense). Go Blue over Bowling Green! (For bonus points!). Denard Robinson for the Heisman. -- Mickey D

So now you have me scouring the participant list for Sean Astin, David Anspaugh, or Rob Fried... all absent from our little league. So I would submit that you are picking an ND game for the third week in a row based soley on the fact that their games have been exciting as hell to watch these past two weeks. My personal results with ND are mixed at 1-1, but I just can't imagine they're going to lose a close one again... at least not at home. So I put my faith in Touchdown Jesus. -- Bizzy G

Yay, I didn't get laid off this week but for those of us who work in the media business, it is rapidly becoming not a question of if it happens, but when it happens. I wonder if this what the buggy whip makers talked about when they looked at all the cars going by. Also of note, I see where Notre Dame will play Navy at Dublin in 2012. ROADTRIP! -- Anonymous

No comments: