Thursday, September 16, 2010

Live Fan Feedback for the Thursday

Comments on the week from our expert panel of reporters, bankers, doctors, lawyers, ad wizards, lawn guys, bond guys, car guys, pilots, priests, principals, builders, teachers, bums, and nomads.

Continually updated throughout the day...

It pains me to do this because I'm not doing that awful this year, but I'm going to continue my tradition of not picking Arkansas games. -- Brendan O.

Clemson... damn you! Auburn - err Clemson - no, wait Auburn. damn - Auburn - final answer. -- Robb O.

UGA's got nuthin, I just can't see them winning that game... D is clueless and O-Line which was supposed to be so good is only average. I think another shootout, but y'all win by 10. - Jeff K.

I appreciate not being reported for picking Michigan State. I would hate to be excommunicated. -- Chris B.

Ok, I read through all the names on this e-mail, twice... searching and searching, but never finding Dan Ruettiger's name on the Poolsville participants roster. So for the life of me I can't figure out how ND made it into the picks back to back weeks! -- Bizzy G

I have it on good authority that Michael Dyer is starting this week vs Clemson. So, I expect him to get a bunch of carries. -- Aubie Jones

5-0 right? If i were you, I'd just copy my selections for your entry card. -- DJ Jazzy Josh

Moment of Truth: the dice come up snake eyes, and the house wins. I am going with Auburn even though it is lame to have your mascot be the Auburn tiger and still use the "war eagle" before your games - two checks for lame. Well, really. They are so special that they get two mascots. It is like playing with a 4 year old who says they get to have all the superpowers instead of just picking one. For the 4 year old, that is smart thinking. For grown-ups, lame. From now on, I would like the UA to be referred to as both Razorbacks and "War Pterodactyls". We get you from the ground and the sky. And now some big announcement about injury or suspension can come since my picks are in and there are no take backs. -- Kazoo

I don't know if you think the pool would be interested, but I'm working on a show called "Big Ten Icons" that starts airing this Saturday on the Big Ten Network. It's a series documenting the top 20 athletes in Big Ten history. Not just football but all sports. I just finished number 19 and will finish 17 in a week or so. I don't know how many more I'll work on but college sports fans will dig it and the series runs through January or February. -- John R.

Arky (not sure why UGA is favored here, Arky should be favored by 7, even on the road). Texas (lines seems a little light). Notre Dame (I hate to pick them, but I haven't seen MSU play yet). Iowa (another line that seems a bit off). See, no cracks this week either about Arky, even giving them props... of course, we all know that will change in a few weeks. -- Jeff K.

-

Sue Everybody by Glenn B.:

Arkansas does everything it can do lose at Georgia but is thwarted in the end by Georgia's even greater self-destructive tendencies. This game will make last season's Liberty Bowl look like a well-played game in comparison.

Clemson was originally named the University of Clem. Unhappy with the name, the school hired consultants to help them come up with a better name and "Clemson" was the winner. The kicker was the special meaning which the consultants attributed to the added -S-, -O- and -N-: spirit, honor and knowledge (the consultants were not strong spellers). Clemson over Aubrun, bonus points for me.

Texas beats Texas Tech; it is too early in the season for Tulane's former head coach to lose a conference matchup.

Notre Dame, cut to the quick by the home loss to Michigan, defeats Michigan State handily.

-

Can't waste more energy on these. Have to be at a mental peak, ready to give 110 percent (which is impossible, of course) in Athens. Believe coaches and athletes call it "stepping up." -- Dean of Arkansas Sportswriters

-

Come on man. I made these picks by rolling some dice like Mr. Mor-an...

Grew up as an Arkan-san, so gotta roll with Ry-an (Mallett).

Spent four years as a Tex-an, but not that tea sippin' kind, the ones in Aggie-land.

Clem-san can't fondle the Rock on the stand, so gotta go with the team from Auburn, Ala-bam.

Fightin' Lepre-chans from Ire-land gonna go down to the Spar-tans of Michi-gan (State).

With a veter-an QB in Ricky Stan(zi) and a running man named Ad-am (Robinson), you gotta like the Iow-ans.

Respectfully submitted by Man Hat-tan

-

Regards from the Big O:

Without restating my earlier rejoinder to your observation about the magnificent AU victory on the road against an SEC opponent, I must acknowledge that I departed (gravely misguided) from my promise to select teams based upon logic, et al, rather than gut/heart based, when I unfortunately hoped that Joepa's minions could over power the mighty 'lil Nickies... I was wrong and could easily have had a 4-1 last weekend. Anyway, leaving my spilt milk behind I posit the following choices as I prepare to depart tomorrow morning on my way to attend the Tigers' victory (guaranteed since we're both Tigers) Saturday evening at the loveliest village of the plains: 1) Arkansas (yes, I picked the Hogs because they appeared better, even against lesser competition, than the eastern bow wows); 2) Auburn (of course, coupled with we're the better, more tested team playing at home with ESPN Game Day for incentive); 3) Texas (the probably better team, although Tommy's Red Raiders may surprise at home based upon Tub's penchant for wupping up on highly ranked favorites); 4) Michigan State (because the Spartans' Greek warrior is more menacing than the Leprechaun and I haven't been impressed with the Irish's speed); 5) Iowa (because the Big Ten, despite its thick legged slowness is more reliable than any Pac 10 Goldwater Country team no matter what their respective early ratings). Well, time to pack, eat the last of my birthday cake - yes, I'm a young three-and-a-half score geezer - and get my "all-blue" mindset. Ta Ta (hope our 285 pound H Back/Tailback called "Da Da" is over his ankle injury by mid-October's date with the Hogs) and "War Cam Eagle!"

-

Fun with Aubie Jones:

Arkansas - If Arkansas doesn't win against this Georgia team, they are not very good.

Auburn - of course.

Texas Tech - In Tubby's first years at Ole Miss and Auburn, he had bad teams but always seemed to upset a team or two, he will do that this year as well, hopefully this game.

Notre Dame - WTH? We're sick of picking ND games, and their stupid khaki helmets are ridiculous.

Iowa - I don't know who this team is but I'm picking them hoping they'll get lucky, why the heck would you not choose the Neb - Washington game??

-

Iowa - Really, Nebraska routed Arizona by 30 points last year in the Holiday Bowl. -- Husker Do

They wanted it back from O.J., but he had already taken it to the guys of "Pawn Stars." -- Mitchell G.

TxTech over Texas: The Gambler always wins one at home he shouldn't. -- Lee D.

-

Faldon's Other Five Thoughts:

Arkansas — If only to set up a Top 10 battle the following week in Fayetteville. Luckily, Maxine's Tap Room (after 60-plus years of having only beer) has been approved for liquor sales to ease the pain of losing that game. Damn, I've now tipped my hand for next week! Curses!

Auburn — Clemson in the Pool should really be outlawed. And according to the Poolsville Stylebook, it's "Mal-a-zhan."

Texas - Battle for the Chancellor's Spurs!?! Only in Tejas would they come up with something as silly as spurs for a rivalry trophy. The Football Gods weep at such lamosity.

Notre Dame - Battle of the Megaphone!?! I humbly submit my apologies to Texas and Texas Tech.

Iowa - Corn-fed > cactus-bred

1 comment:

Scott said...

About half the Faldons pronounce it Fal-dan instead of the proper Fall-dun. So you could have used a "Come on, Fal-dan" there.