Thursday, July 22, 2010

Lose the game; win the SEC Media Days

Send the buffet-grazing, WiFi-crashing media horde home from Hoover, the winner of the SEC Media Days has been found — Vanderbilt's interim head coach Robbie Caldwell.

Pat Forde of ESPN declared it the best press conference in SEC history. And, as we all know, if it's the best in the SEC then it's the best in the ENTIRE NATION!

With a thick Southern drawl, he spoke about ...

• On his anonymity: "I can still walk in places and nobody knows me. Last night I was opening the door for people and they gave me a tip. I thought, hey, that's great. How can you get it any better than that?"

• On his anonymity, even among his peers: "I got to see Coach Spurrier today, Coach Richt. They have no idea who I am."

• On continuing Johnson's ban on cussin': "You know, I'm no angel, that's for certain. ... But, you know, it's just a sign of limited vocabulary sometimes. I know y'all can't tell it, but I do have an education."

• On growing up in a small town: "My first hourly paying job was on the turkey farm. I don't know if I could tell you what my job was, but I was on the inseminating crew. That's a fact. I worked my way to the top. That's a fact, man. If you don't believe it, call Nicolas. Of course, I think they're defunct now. Best job I ever had, got paid by the hour for the first time. That was about '68, '69. That's what we did every afternoon."


Highlights

Full transcript

No comments: