Monday, January 04, 2010

Ice Station Zebra, AKA the Liberty Bowl


MEMPHIS — It was so cold in Memphis Saturday night that Hell froze over and Alex Tejada made a clutch kick.
That's me, above, dressed for the weather and even then I was still cold.
By now you know that Arkansas won the Liberty Bowl in overtime against some directional school from one of the Carolinas. It isn't clear which Carolina, but we do know that East Carolina is not a state, but North and South Carolina are.
While you had drama on the field, it wasn't limited to there.
The MATA shuttle bus besides the one we rode back to the Peabody was cleared out. A man on the bus was feeling chest pains and then went into cardiac arrest, or for the non-medical types, he had a heart attack.
A group of doctors and nurses from Baptist Health in Little Rock began working on the man. I know this because their group had been split up and two of them were on the bus and sitting by me.
They reported that the man had been down for 20 minutes but was revived. It wasn't clear where the man was from or what his condition is now.
A search of the googles reveals that the Razorbacks expats site has a note on it as well.
http://www.arkansasexpats.com/2010/1/4/1232958/notes-from-the-south-endzone

1 comment:

Shelli Poole said...

Hey Jeremy. That was my dad, and the medical crew will be glad to know that he's doing well, but in for a second surgery tomorrow/Tuesday morning before they'll be done with him at Methodist University Hospital in Memphis. I've got a story on my site now. I was wondering who the medical personnel was that helped him... saved him... so that the family could thank them personally.

My comment at Arkansas Expats:
http://www.arkansasexpats.com/2010/1/4/1232958/notes-from-the-south-endzone#add-comment

My story at MySaline:
http://www.mysaline.com/profiles/blogs/dads-in-the-hospital-with