Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Letters to Ramon: Week 14

"0-5 one more time. Why not?" -- My D.

"Oregon — Though I hate that rap video and how Nike is Duck-erizing college uniforms across the nation. Did you see those Pro Combat outfits? Egads! LSU looked like Tulsa. Mizzou looked like a UFL team. The best football uniforms are the timeless ones. Respect tradition. Pitt — Seriously, some football team in the City of Champions needs to win this week. Florida — Going against the M8B here, but St. Timothy of Gainesville shall doth be trimpuhantth in his finalth SEC championshipth. (Hey, I just realized the translators of the King James Bible wrote the way Lou Holtz talks! Fitting, since he was alive when they were working on the translation.)" -- Hog Tattoo

"Not even playing for pride anymore, just seeking the elusive 0-5 to drop me into last place..." -- Aggie Mark

"O State Beavs... wasn't that a boy band?" -- Lee D.

"No way the refs let Saint Tebow lose his final SEC game." -- Brian R.

"I’ve been making my move. You knew I wouldn’t let Mr. Wells win without a fight. Have you ever seen Ramon and Alex Tejada in the same room? It’s either him or just a younger, sexier version of Ramon." -- Hinch

"The game of the ugliest unis goes to the Ducks, even though the Beavers unis are worse (but cooler name). Do you think the two schools got together and said, “Hey, no one east of the Rockies knows where Oregon is on a map, so maybe we need to take a page from Boise’s book and find a way to stand out by forcing people watch our game with sunglasses.”? Florida–Alabama: Can the game hold up to the season-long anticipation? I won’t know because I’ll be at my wife’s grandmother’s 90th birthday party. I’m serious." -- Jeff G.

"Oops, missed the time date on tonight's game, but here are my picks anyway: 1) Had I been timely, I would have picked Oregon, so go Oregon State; 2) Pittsburgh (but if Cincy wins I will look forward to them whipping Bama's rear in the Sugar Bowl - see third pick); 3) Gators (Tebow will 'will' it, if necessary - $aban may think he's the Messiah, but Tim seems to be the real thing, footballwise any way); 4) Georgia Tech (because the other other Tigers can't be trusted on any given Saturday); and 5) Texas (because TV networks demand it for revenue reasons). Doubt if I'll make it to Tampa, but love the gnashing of teeth over our getting picked!" -- Big O

"Why pay face value for a ticket and bad seats when I can go game day and get 30 yard line tickets for 1/2 off? I have only seen Arkansas win one bowl game in my lifetime. We will win the Liberty Bowl. Nothing like finishing the year off with a win. Remember that there won't be any football until September 2010." -- Joe C.

"Oregon State's coach is a douche bag. Going for it on 4th and 15 when you're in field goal range with 6 minutes left? 4th and 15! I turned the game off at that point. Idiot. So if the Cougars don't win tomorrow, I've got 4 tickets to the Liberty Bowl for sale. If they do win, it will be the highest scoring bowl game this year." -- Danny K.


Postscript:

"My season may be complete. I finally reach the exclusive 5-0 frame with 22 of my closest friends. Bring on the bowls. I’m only 42 pts out of first place." -- Jersey Boy

"I would say the same for Arkansas coaches if they lose to East Carolina." -- Seve Chang

"The referee had every right to angrily wave everyone off the field. He could have (if he wanted to) thrown a flag for delay of game – sideline infraction and given Texas an extra five yards. But I still want my 5 points for picking Nebraska." -- Ryan H.

"Dang it, I dropped out of the top 10. Damn you Oregon State!" -- Danny K.

"My first 5-0 ever!! I was celebrating Saturday night like I won the whole thing." -- Cory I.

"I disagree, the clock said '0.00', so you can't penalize the team for going onto the field. The fact that the time was put back on the clock was absolutely the right call. Was there a Husker or Aggie working the game clock? The time (about a second and a half from when the ball hit the ground way out of bounds) should have never ticked off. This is one great example where replay review worked well. That said, how in the world could UT be so careless with the clock? A huge travesty that would have cost them a spot in the title game. Much, much worse than the Chris Webber timeout in the NCAA tourney. Oh yeah, and hats off to the Husker kicker for kicking it out of bounds to start the Longhorn drive. Terrible. I watched the game after the family was in bed, so I saw the end around 1:00 a.m. Terrific game, very exciting if you were rooting for the underdog. Texas fans probably thought it was an awful game. Suh is the man!" -- Shaft Jr.

"Looks like Florida's officiating crew decided to take in a Texas game on a weekend when the Gators need them! Saw 'em off!" -- Alex T.

"A good question arose on the Dan Patrick show about whether they would have reviewed the clock in a regular season game. Most likely not. Apparently during the ND / Michigan game there was a chance for them to do so for ND but they didn't. The other question is, if NEB had been in Texas's place, would they have reviewed it?" -- Seve Chang

No comments: