Thursday, December 10, 2009

Letters to Ramon: Bonus Week and Slabby

"Nova -- in the greatest Wildcat victory since McClain and McLain rolled the Hoyas! Grand Valley State -- You never bet against GVS in December! That's like betting for Hootie in October! Navy -- Love that goat. Montana -- in honor of daddy Petrino." -- Dr. Alejandro

"William & Mary over Villanova (two to one are good odds unless you're fighting Chuck Norris). McCoy for Heisman (for the same reason Bradford won last year... 2nd place voting)." -- Lee D.

"Thanks for the shout-out, but i have no chance at the grand prize. ODAC pride!" -- DJ Rubber Gloves

"Mr. Wells states that he simply cannot pick William and Mary, Fr. Tribou's alma mater, to win a sporting event in a betting pool. He's afraid of the hauntings that would follow. As for me, I think Father T. was competitive and wanted to win... even in football. Baseball is a different story..." -- Anonymous

"Navy, though I'd laugh if UCLA got bounced from a bowl." -- Sean O.

"I'd better respond right away since I'm flying to Philly Friday and attending the Army/Navy game with Lee - Go Army, surely we can beat those Middies. Here are my choices guaranteed to keep me in the running for the lowest score of those who sent in most of the weekly entries: 1) Villanova (because Thomas Jefferson isn't starting for William & Mary this game); 2) NW Missouri (because I at least know what state that school is in); 3) Army (because 10 years wearing greens and fatigues trumps 2 years NROTC blues); 4) Montana (because they are really used to the cold); and 5) Gerhart (because Ingram was stopped cold - and not by his fourth quarter feigned hip pointer either - by Auburn's mighty run defense and Suh probably is unlikely to be chosen, notwithstanding deserving it, since he is on the defense and ESPN isn't out to get Peyton - I never forget). Last but not least - what is a "Scantron"? Regards and Go Big Blue (AU's)!" -- Big O

"Army–Navy: When was this a good game? Ever? And the weather in Philly as always shitty, which makes watching this game all the more unbearable. And it never means anything to the national picture - it’s just in the way of other good football games. In other words, I’ll be raking leaves. Appalachian State–Montana: Armanti Edwards’ shot at three national championships in four years. Great story. Last week they had payback on the defending champs (Richmond) who beat them in last year’s playoffs. I’ll be done raking leaves by 4. The Heisman Trophy: Ingram – not sure he’ll win, but I think his consistent strong play against SEC defenses should count for more than Gerhart’s. You have to love a RB that breaks into the defensive backfield and looks for guys to run over. Reminds me of Keith Jackson intercepting Drew May’s pass in that game at Quigley against Parkview, zigzagging down the field, literally running over our entire offense on the way to the end zone. Yeah, that left an impression." -- Jeff G.

"Montana - This might be THE game to watch this postseason. The weather guessers are predicting five inches of snow to fall DURING the game. Gerhart - Ingram leads right now, but I think Gerhart will rally to win a close race. Suh might finish with the most 1st place votes, but not get enough 2nds and 3rds to win. And Otis Kirk announced on a Fort Smith radio show that he'd put Ryan Mallett on his Heisman ballot because 'he's a uhhh better uhhh quarterback than Tebow or Colt McCoy, j-j-j-j-just look at, I mean, you know, his stats are better than those uhhhhh guys.'" -- Anonymous 2

"Can't we just for-go the Slabby award this year?If not, please forward me the names of any Auburn fan that votes for Alabama.I need to add them to the 'Dead To Me' list. I'm turning my ballot over to Steve Spurrier's sports intern." -- Lee D.

"Hard to not sound like a homer, but I assume everyone will be voting for Bama anyway. Since I'm cheering for them, I'll go Texas. Remember, they were like 2 TD underdogs to USC in 05. They can play some shut down defense. I'm not saying they will win. But I sincerely believe they can win, even if it's on their defensive strength alone. And everyone in Texas can carry 75 pounds for 10 feet. That's about the same as a decent sized brisket." -- Danny K.

"Ingram... My propaganda got him invited, but not enough for a "the winner is..." quote. Could happen, but doubt it. Where are the bonus points for the Heisman vote?" -- Ryan H.

"All previsous objections to selection before bowl games preserved & not waived, I vote for TCU." -- Big O

"Alabama, although I think that I should be able to vote for a three-way tie (who am I to say that going undefeated, no matter what conference you play in, is not worthy of a national championship). I am not including Boise State in the tie because the blue field annoys me." -- Kate D.

"We said a few weeks ago that we would NOT to go a bowl in Shreveport. What a crappy location! I'd had my fingers crossed for the Music City Bowl. Oh well ..." -- Hilary D.

"One time, I was unemployed and working a temp job to pay the bills. The job was expected to last for a week and a half, which would cover a lot of my expenses for the month. On the second day of the job, a Thursday, I received word I won 2 tickets to the NCAA Final Four, airfare, hotel, and car rental (down in Orlando, no less). The catch is I would have to leave the next morning, Friday, and would not return until the middle of the following week. Not only would I lose the money from the job, I would have to pay a lot while I was down there. I asked my boss if he needed me for those days. He told me he wouldn't make the decision for me, but that he could certainly use my help. I decided to stay and turned down the trip. On the third day of the job the boss pulled me into the office and said for me to come in on Monday but that he would not need me beyond that. I did the honorable thing and got crapped on for it. Well, it's time to crap back and, thankfully, Alabama gets to receive the full load. My vote goes to Cincinnati, who played just as many top 25 teams as Bama, played two of them on the road (not a neutral site), and didn't pad their victories with cream puffs like Chattanooga, N. Texas, and FIU!" -- Lee D.

"Ingram, but I want Gerhart to win. I wish they voted in multiple rounds so Tebow could be eliminated in the first round a la Chicago in its bid to host the Olympics." -- Glenn B.

"Villanova. On a side note, at first I thought it said Vilonia. I just about said road trip." -- Booty D

"The Heisman lost all credibility for me a few years ago - and even more so with including McCoy and Tebow in this year's list. But, I will pretend that it is legitimate and say Ingram." -- Kate D.

"Is that first one a basketball game? Villanova has a football team?" -- Danny K.

"I feel like I'm jumping off the cliff w/ Ingram as McCoy has total passing & rushing yardage for 2009 of 3,860 to Ingram's 1,864 & Gerhart's 1,885. On the flip side, it appears stiffarm has canvassed roughly 75% of the vote as of their last report last nite and they advise roughly 85% of the votes are cast. I'm saying the SE Conference + who 'Bama beat is going to make the difference (but that's just me) and I'll be eating a lot of crow if McCoy wins (had him typed in at one point) as my husband is adamant that's who it will be!" -- Janis M.

No comments: