Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Letters to Ramon: Week 9

"Tell me this doesn't send chills down your spine." -- Mr. Kentucky

"Mack Brown is a former Seminole tailback (yes, I was a tailback as well... Every time I got off the bench, coach would yell to get my tail back!). Longhorns all the way." -- Seminole Prognosticator

"What? No Georgia-Florida? A chance for me to pick up some ground with the underdog points I'd surely win with the Bulldog upset of the still-young century?" -- Andrew D.

"We have two tickets to the Razorback game this Saturday against Eastern Michigan in Fayetteville this Saturday if anyone would like them. We can't make the game." -- Rene S.

"Where is Arkansas this week? West Virginia–South Florida -- what’s up with this game? Nobody cares for the Big Least!" -- Joe C.

"West Virginia - Which makes me think of John Denver, which makes me wonder — why do the Baltimore Orioles play "Thank God I'm a country boy" during the 7th inning stretch? I'd say I lie awake at night pondering questions like that. But it would be a lie. But that's where my stream of consciousness went when I saw this game. So, really, it's all your fault, Matt, that I'll now spend several minutes trying to Google an answer to the Orioles-John Denver connection." -- Scott F.

"I will try something new by taking all the lines. It can’t hurt." -- Cat

"You picked some tough ones this week. I don’t think it matters – Mr. Wells would have to stop playing right now in order for someone to catch him. Ole Miss – talk about a grudge match. Nutt v. Malzahn I (it is the first game against eachother, right?). OSU – can the Cowboys put the brakes on yet another team from Texas like they did to TTech last year? If this was the first week Howard was suspended, I would say no. But he’s been out for 3 weeks now and OSU is still winning, so I think they have a shot." -- Jeff G.

"West Virginia - WVU was so embarrassed by Auburn they've picked up their game. Ole Miss - Obviously Matt is doing this to me on purpose. Tennessee - Tennessee was so embarrassed by Auburn they've picked up their game." -- Seve Chang

"My prediction, Iowa goes to the championship. FL, Bamer + TX are due for a loss somewhere." -- My D.

"If Iowa wins the NC game, I will toss in another $100 to sweeten the pot - kind of like buying shots for all your buddies in a bar." -- Johnny V

"On the eve of my next trip to Auburn, this time leaving Jacob and Sarah to 'trick' the residents of Little Rock, I have fortunately remembered to send you my dismal list of picks - although they were better than my two offspring's picks last week for a change. Along with explanations, they are as follows: 1) West Virginia (because they were good enough to be beat by Auburn during its win stretch); 2) Auburn (because I am the ultimate optimist willing to add another 1000+ miles to the War Waggon); 3) Tennessee (see reason for first pick above); 4) Oregon (because I really don't like USC and they need another loss so as to avoid their being in the National Championship game); and 5) Texas (because NCAA Powers That Be will decree it)." -- Oscar

"I love corn dogs, hence it must be true!!!" -- LSU fan

"AwBarn... come on, Trey! I'm not using the Vegas line... no matter what I do, I lose 3-4. Dr. Selligman would be proud!" -- Dr. Aristotle Ditka

"It appears Ramon is not destined for my Big Blue Shrine." -- Mr. Kentucky

"Leave it to a man to use sex (even if it's between animals) to reduce a friendly, wholesome fantasy football league into a filthy, hillbilly free for all!!! Will Johnson should be BANNED!!!! He has desecrated the spirit of the email background football pool design theme, not to mention the good name and reputation of rabbits everywhere. If I had a white glove I would slap him and challenge him to a duel." -- Robyn E.

"Great - the old-time adage "beware the directional schools" has no application here. I'll take South Florida (a region, and by the way, maybe it should be West Central Florida, since Tampa is not south of, say, half the state) over West Virginia (a state), since US(WC)F managed to upset WVA in 2006 and 2007. I'll take Auburn over Ole Miss (come on, Gus). Maybe an Ole Miss booster should do a stadium fly-over with a big banner reading 'High School.' It is not USC''s year - I'll take Oregon over USC and think I should get a bonus point for this pick. But maybe Oregon's getting back to its salad days ([i]n the 1916 season, Oregon went undefeated with five wins and one tie under head coach Hugo Bezdek, shutting out all their opponents except California; they opened the season against Willamette University, defeating them 97-0) and this is not all that much of a stretch." -- Glenn B.

No comments: