Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Letters to Ramon: Week 7

"Another nice lineup that I can fail miserably with. Aren't we due for some Clemson???" -- Robb O.

"USC beats ND, unless that leprechaun really works some huge magic." -- Steve N.

"ND – like stealing candy from a baby." -- Brett W.

"For entertaiment purposes only, Ark will cover the spread against Florida. Of course, I would place a call to Mr Steve Wells to verify that pick before placing any actual wagers." -- Aggie Mark

"I know VT will probably win but I'm tired of them and their fluke wins." -- My D.

"America's Team - Florida State, will take a much needed breather this weekend as they take on the college powerhouse, Open Date. The game promises to be a victory for Florida State. SEMINOLE TRIVIA: The Seminole indian that is on the FSU logo does actually have a name. He is Sammy Seminole - I do love alliteration! Anyway, the Noles started wearing a Sammy Seminole logo on their game pants when the actor and FSU alumni Burt Reynolds thought that it would look cool. He thought so much of it that for a bowl game he purchased the team new pants with that logo. Can't remember which bowl game but I am sure it was a victory. Of course Burt had the ability to make that kind of purchase then because that was before he divorced Loni Anderson and was plunged into alimony hell and lost all his money." -- Seminole Prognosticator

"I’ll give you $3 if you’ll send me Mr Wells’ picks. No one needs to know. Iowa–Wisconsin: I think these teams are pretty evenly matched, so the nod goes to the home team. 11 a.m. is a little early for the students in Madtown, but they’ll be there – only their eyes will match their team’s jerseys." -- Jeff G.

"GTech is looking stronger but I seem to lose when I pick them. You've been warned." -- Seve Chang

"Since the only pick that Trey and I have the same is USC, this is either the week that I pull back into contention for the Verizon Cup or the week that I fall so far behind the pack that I will essentially phone it in the rest of the season." -- Brian R.

"I suck... Therefore, i'm done with commentary and sharing my picks with the Alltel/VZW crew until I get better. I was just embarrassing myself. If there was a Harris cup (like the Davis cup) I would be losing!" -- Ryan H.

"In honor of captain underdog, I will take all of the favorites. Remember, Arkansas will win this weekend and go undefeated for the rest of the year." -- Joe C.

"I am in Tulsa watching the Tulsa game. The wild part is that Boise State is staying at my hotel. They brought quite a few fans. I guess there is nothing else to do in Boise but support the team. The Boise pregame dinner was next door to my meeting and they were getting all wild and loud getting pumped up for the game. No SEC team should ever be afraind of playing them. They were incredibly small -- like I would not be afraid of being on the field with them." -- BR Shields

"Notre Dame - and I'm serious. ND should be undefeated. Time for the shillelagh to come home." -- BR Shields plus Budweiser

"Notre Dame – I really regret making this pick, but those damn Irish will probably screw this up and I can’t stand those bastards!!!" -- William F.

"I always feel so good about my picks on Thursday and so bad about them on Sunday." -- David W.

"Well, pickwise this is going to be a long year so time to pull out the long shots. On the road early tomorrow to Auburn to see my Tigers recover... that's what good teams do, pick themselves up and get with it. Besides, the grandkids, Sue and I get to see Bo and other former AU stars in a home run derby or go see the men's basketball practice or go see the Lady Tigers take on Florda in volleyball. Got to meet the guys at the Oyster House for lunch so here are my picks: 1) South Florida (because they'll surprise Cincinatti tonight); 2) Wisconsin (because I'm really not sure about the Iowa team being that good); 3) Texas (because they have Colt and OU has who knows); 4) USC (you gotta be kidding if you think I'll take that long a long shot); and 5) Virginia Tech (because their defense has more than enough talent to stop Tech's running game). How come Florida/Arkansas isn't on here? I could use the help in closing the gap over those loyalists who would pick the Hogs to win in the Swamp. War Eagle anyway." -- Oscar

"OK, so I'm gonna say what everyone else is thinking but is too afraid to come out with it.... Mr. Wells is cheating. That's right, I said it. I'm not sitting in his English class anymore, don't have to worry about retaliation, and I'm a Man, dammit!!!" -- Jimmie D.

"And now I finally HAVE a mantle on which to put the coveted Ramon Escobar trophies! I'm just glad there's no Arkansas game to pick this time." -- Dauphne

"Texas and Coach Brown, and the best defense in the country, take it to Big Game Bob. Texas 70. Oklahoma 3." -- Yo Sal

No comments: