Monday, October 05, 2009

Bits and pieces

After a relaxing three-day weekend in the woods, one comes back to earth and reality.
Arkansas won Saturday night in Texas.
Lots of people went, or so I read in the papers, and the Razorbacks won handily.
It was a "must-win" game for them, or so everyone says.
This week is another "must-win"" game for them, or so everyone says.
Gots me.
I figured Arkansas would be 2-2 at this point and then reel off three consecutive losses before righting the ship against Eastern Michigan on Halloween.
After listening to the game on the radio, I didn't hear anything that would dissuade me from that.
It sounded like the defense played better. It sounded like the receivers didn't drop passes that hit them in the hands.
That's a good thing.
Here's the bad thing: I'm still don't Willy Robinson will have his job next season. I still don't think that Mallett is a truly great quarterback. I think he has a superb arm, but being a quarterback is more than being able to sling it 70 yards. If that was the case everyone would still remember Major Harris and he'd be in the Hall of Fame.

A few random observations
ISP, what's that?: Honestly, if you listen to the game on the radio, you will hear about ISP about 10,000 times. Also of note, non-ISP schools don't get radio snippets, just the score. That includes other SEC schools. It does get a little irritating though, when all you want to hear is the score and they are giving you an audio highlight.

Chuck and Keith: Did you know that Keith Jackson is available for public speaking engagements? If you didn't, that means you have never listened to a game on the radio. I don't much care for Jackson. I think he's a fake. Pretty clear his son didn't buy in.

Deep in the Heart O' Texas: The stars shine bright, deep in the night, etc, etc. One game in Dallas doesn't mean that Arkansas will sign the top 10 high school players in the Metroplex. But that is the wishful thinking that normally comes with all things Arkansas.

Headed to the hills: The Bits and Pieces girlfriend (BPG) has decided its time to take her first trip to and also her first game in Fayetteville this weekend. (HINT: I need tickets!) BPG is from northeast Arkansas, never made the trip up and didn't spend a minute in the University of Arkansas system, but yet, somehow, is still a Razorbacks fan. I blame going to a non-football playing liberal arts college and then off to Oxford for her master's. And by Oxford, I mean Ole Miss. She also despises Nutt, at least most days. She reads the blog. She thinks I'm nuts. Hi Honey *waves*

No comments: