Thursday, September 03, 2009

Week 1: Letters to Ramon

"I think it would be good to give a bit of historical background for those who don't know it re: the origins of the Ramon Escobar trophy. You know, a little about his life and legacy leading to the creation of this football pool and hallowed award." -- Brad C.

"Miami will never win again since they moved to the new Orange Bowl.
How long will it take for Michigan football to return? My guess a few more years and another coaching change. And thanks for Ryan Mallett." -- BR

"If I recall, though, I soundly beat you every year in this pool but let's let bygones be bygones." -- Trey to Jerry

"Well, sit down, spin around and spit twice -- a Thursday game and an ACC game. This is cruel to the power of 10." -- Kate D.

"For laughs, check out this article on Mustain: Mitch Mustain has become the invisible man at USC. That's OK by him, as long as he gets a legit shot in the NFL, Mark Kriegel says." -- Ron R.

"I've decided to by and large go against the spread, unless my gut tells me otherwise, for the first month, then back to going with the spread... we'll see how this goes." -- Alejandro O.

"I can't believe I'm going against the SEC....but I'm not feeling it with Georgia and Alabama this week. They both have something to prove on the offensive side of the ball in my opinion. I think Georgia's gonna get blown out and VT will win in a nail biter 10-7." -- Jim D. of hazynation

"Prior to leaving LR to travel to the again beautiful Mississippi Gulf Coast to join my '57 classmates as well as others graduating throughout the '50s, I am enclosing this semi-retiree's (a classification you omitted from your initial discourse) selections: (1) Boise State because almost anyone is better than Pac 10 teams, especially in the first games of the year; (2) Georgia because Auburn got OSU's best assistant coaches; (3) Virginia Tech because I like Hookies better than Tiders (and they will lose using Whoolio and others who should not be playing regardless of what the NCAA concluded and/or due to their undesciplined law enforecement violations); (4) Rutgers because their NJ govenorship looks like it will return to the Republican fold soon; and (5) Florida State because Papa Diddy wants to catch up with Papa Joe. Have fun this weekend and watch the first of 11 Auburn games to be televised this season on national tv." -- Big O

"Good, now that the newspaper business has finally imploded, at least in Arkansas, I can start a full-time gig writing snarky blog posts. To the future!" -- Anonymous

"Alabama def. Virginia Tech -- Surely BAMA will wait until later in the season to begin underperforming. Rutgers def. Cincinnati -- never in my life have I seen a bunch of la crosse players play up the way these guys do. Florida State def. Miami -- Bobby Bowden must start making up for those 14 vacated victories if he wants to catch Paterno in the Octo(genarian)gon." -- Glenn B.

"BTW can my team name be: Die HDN!" -- Joe C.

"Oregon’s ugly-ass uniforms on BSU’s hideous blue field. Can this game be any more visually painful? No (unless they were playing Oregon State). Am I going to watch every minute of it? Yes." -- Jeff G.

"SEMINOLE FACT OF THE WEEK: Did you know that Burt Reynolds the actor was a tail back at FSU? (I was a tail back also... every time I got up off the bench the coach would yell for me to get my tail back). His quarterback was none other than.... NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND.... Lee Corso!" -- The Kriz

No comments: