Thursday, September 17, 2009

Letters to Ramon: Week 3

"I don't like picking against the Hogs except when they play Auburn, but they have played one game against a high school. Georgia has played 2 decent teams. Advantage: Georgia." -- Trey D.

"First, define 'back'... If you mean can we when a non-conference game on the road against a ranked opponent, I'm not sure i'm ready to predict that since they haven't done it in over 8 years. However, I do pick them to win because i'm a true fan that doesn't pick against his team... The Arkansas game is a toss up... Given my performance thus far, i'm going with the Jerry Wild method and pick against my initial gut..." -- Ryan H.

"Kool-Aid! Oh yeeeeah! Actually, I pick Arkansas because I think Cox is hurt and won't be effective." -- Scott F.

"Gotta play the homer on the Hogs this week!" -- Mark W.

"Good luck - is for [expletive deleted]" -- E-Man

"The Catholic High Rockets (currently ranked #5 in the state) take on the dangerous Ft. Smith Northside Grizzlies at War Memorial on Friday night. Kickoff is set for 7 pm. All good Catholic boys should come to the aid of their school and attend in force. See you there." -- Steve S.

"I have wasted some serious company resources this week and I think I have the Pool site almost where it needs to be. I am going to go ahead and run it in parallel this season (entering all the picks myself) to make sure it all works." -- Mike G.

"Well done this week - these games do inspire cursing." -- Robb O.

"This is too hard!" -- LB

"Thanks Matt. Nothing like a night of Wipeout and Crash Course And football picks." -- My D.

"BTW Arkansas will win by 2 TD's!" -- Joe C.

"Could you pick a tougher set of games!!!!! GO HOGS, WAR EAGLE and see you tonight for TT3!!!" -- William F.

"Imma gonna let you finish, but those were some of the best picks of all time. OF ALL TIME!" -- Ryan H.

"I considered replying to all like we have seen this week, but since my picks have been embarrassing I will keep my mouth shut. I did only miss 2 NFL games against the spread Week 1, but I suck at college games." -- Mark H.

"I don't think Pabst is on special at Brownings anymore, only Schlitz (50¢). Old Style, Stag, and Pearl Light are $1. The House, formerly Sufficient Grounds, and Dam Good Pies have $1 PBR every day, all day." -- Chris O. with the beer report

"Thank God Ben sent this out as a reply all or I wouldn't have gotten the email. Much to my dismay, the Hogs have burnt me too much in the past but I can't get over how bad Georgia looked. I know I am going to kick myself for this one." -- Van Damme

"Ahhh, the joys of football. Can it get any better than this... the sport of Kings!!! Now the winning picks for this are... Hmmm, if I were to pick Miami, that might make the FSU loss a bit more palatable... naw... Going with those killer bee's of Georgia Tech for the upset! Grain fed vs moonshine??? I love a great steak.... NEBRASKA. Ducks? Utes? Yikes! UTAH for absolutely no reason at all. Cincinnati looked awfully good against Rutgers.... Rutgers? Oh well... CINCINNATI. Being vastly outnumbered and because I am completely surrounded by Razorback fans.... ARKANSAS. Just because I am sure you really wanted to know... FSU upsets BYU this weekend. Hey, I'm loyal what can I say!!" -- J. Kriz

"Miami looked good against that sorry Seminole team. I would like Miami a lot more if this game was at the old Orange Bowl. I love Ga Tech option game, but still you have to be able to throw some and Nesbitt last week was like 1 out of 20. Those are just wasted plays and if he can’t throw just leave it on the ground every play. Some time in the not so distant future, some new coach is going to break out the old veer and all the talking heads are going to tout him as some innovative genius because he wrote a book about it. Va Tech is good. Nebraska will never be good again until they return to the option I and 32 Dive is the play call ever other down. The line people must have been drinking late when they came up with the line for the Oregon Utah game. I think it’s a close game but Oregon by 4 - what up. Oregon is even playing without their starting running back in Blount. I think Vegas knows something like Blount is really going to play just in a different named jersey. Oregon State is one tough place to play on the road for a team east of the Mississippi coming out of Ohio. Pike is a very good QB at Cincy, but were not talking about playing at Howard in this game. Georgia/Arkansas is the toughest game to pick even without the emotional attachment and that’s why ESPN is showing the game. I am going with Arkansas because I think Mallett is just that good. He will be the difference in the game plus he has a decent cast on offense around him. The only reason that I have jitters with this pick is because its in Fayetteville. Pat Forde on the radio liked the Hogs because they were at home. He does not know the history. I would like this game much better if it was at Little Rock." -- BR Shields

"Matt: Unlike others, I'm sending my picks to you, and you alone. Trey and I are leaving shortly in the WarrrEagle van, flags awaving, as we take it to the Mounteneers on hopefully dry Saturday evening. Here are my selections: 1) Miami (because I wasn't overly impressed with the Rambling Wreck against Clemson and they're playing in Miami); 2) Nebraska (because Va Tech didn't deliver against Bama, but please don't let former Law School Dean - now merely Professor- Bob Walsh know I ever picked Nebraska as he'd never let me live it down); 3) Utah (because they beat Bama last Sugar Bowl and don't get much respect for it, especially from little - and I mean shorty - Coach Satan who blame's Bama's supporters and because I think the Pac 12 is over rated); 4) Cincinnati (because they really impressed me watching them earlier this season and the Pac 12 being over rated); and 5) Arkansas ( no reason - although I would normally go with the Dawgs until their less than impressive two previous games - other than perhaps for surprise purposes). Go Big Blue - that's AU notwithstanding our predominate orange appearance in the stands on TV. That'll be Trey and me yelling, win or lose, right above the right goal post top in the North end zone Saturday evening." -- Oscar

"Am i going to win? 5 of 5? Let me know in advance, so i can change them if need be.... ok?" -- The Original Josh

"If I had to pick one team that is my nemesis in this pool, it is without a doubt VTech. I correctly called them to lose vs Bama, but they were outclassed and on the road (or at least away from Blacksburg). I don’t think Nebraska is ready to win this kind of game. Cincy - Can’t say I'm a fan, but I see them as this year's Texas Tech minus John Sullivan." -- Jeff G.

"My pick? -- fire Aristotle!" -- Steve N.

"Uuuuggggghhhh!!!!!!!! It's so depressing! I was happy to see them come back in the fourth quarter, but I knew when they tried to throw the ball instead of run it on that last drive before Michigan scored again we were done! They just don't have that spark that they used to. It's more enjoyable to watch them this year because they at least show up, but Clausen just doesn't have the drive Quinn had. Oh well. Around here they say the program started to go down hill once they expanded the stadium so that you can no longer see Touchdown Jesus from it. I don't even think TD Jesus looks all that exciting... but I guess the god of money is not as generous in bestowing the program with winning records." -- Team Harold

"Matt, I didn't get either of your original e-mails... must be getting stuck in my Spam Filter. Thankfully, with everyone's colorful remarks, I was able to get the picks and respond accordingly. I'm predicting lots of upsets this week and look forward to ushering in The Week of The Bizzoso - which will help get me back on the map." -- The Biz

"Thank you for the warning about the cursing out loud. It was a useful warning. And now to start drinking the Big Daddy grape wine and commiserate over another session of bad picks." -- Kate D.

"I'd just like to point out for those folks that went 5-0 or 4-1 last week that all of those games went down to the final minutes (or seconds); they could have easily gone 1-4 or 0-5 (like me), so they all need to get down off their freakin high horse and quit hatin... that's right, I'm looking at you Mr. Wells. And I think I've figured out this Jeremy Peppas character. He is really Mitch Mustain's mom. How else can you explain his intense disdain for the Razorbacks? But he (or should I say 'she') could be Nutt's jilted ex-girlfriend/news reporter (allegedly). If Jeremy is Mustain's mom, she should be pretty excited these days. If one more QB goes down at USC, her boy may actually get to play. I say 'may' cause Carroll would probably put one of O'Brien's Song Girls in before he allows Mustain to get some playing time.... not that there is anything wrong with that." -- Jimmie D.

"Our game should be a good one. Let's hope Mallet can pick apart that GA secondary... they didn't look all that great against SC. If we can manage a couple of defensive stops, we should be able to out score those Dawgs..." -- Porkchop Butler

"Sports Gods, I defy you to reverse the whip on my Georgia pick. Show us your power. Prove me wrong as you have done so many times in the past." -- Mike P.

"WOO-PIG-SOOIE!!!! (I am a firm believer in having a little faith in something. I think that if I have a little faith in my Hogs, they will give the Bulldogs a great game and come out on top! Too bad everyone does not share in my faith and loyalty to the Arkansas Razorbacks. It's okay though, maybe after this win 'others' will see the light and have their faith restored, or one can only hope.)" -- Randi

No comments: