Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Letters to Ramon: Week 1 postscript

"What is Auburn’s fascination with this Dyer kid? I am not sure the Hogs are even actively recruiting the kid. He may be a great back, but at 5’8” I assume he is more in the line of a Michael Smith than a Darren McFadden. I know Trey has an interest because Dyer goes to his kids' school so it's probably pretty cool as this kid has to be that school's first major recruit. I would be interested in how the kid would fare in the state’s upper classification." -- BR

"I sold my tickets for sixty a piece to a couple from Rogers only after getting two lectures. One from a cop for blocking traffic while I was negotiating with a car on the street from the curb; the other from a fellow scalper. A guy who chastised me for my asking price and then started telling me with his experience..... blah, blah, blah. I told him to shut the f--- up. I saw him on the other side of the street after I sold them as I was headed home and he hollered across the way wanting to know if I got $75. I told him a little lower and flashed him a peace sign. We were cool. I loved what you wrote before the standings, but I can tell you were never a gambler. I can't tell you how many times I lost money, sometimes good money, over games ending just like Fla. State/Miami. It would kill me for days. Bobby Bowden said he thought it was a great game, despite the loss, and was quoted as saying he knew that might sound strange. Yeah Bobby it sounded strange. Screw him and the Seminoles. I wanted to win. And should have. I'm pissed." -- LB

"I just wonder what my score would have been if I actually would have spent time instead of firing it right back to you 30 seconds after receiving it. I will study it this week and see if there is a difference in my score. The funny thing is that I did not even get to enjoy the Miami victory. I sent it back to you so quickly that I forgot that I picked Miami. I was pulling for Florida State even though I do not like them. Then I see the results today and think you made a mistake tallying my score so I go back to my sent mail and see that I actually picked Miami. This week I study for the test and bring my round table of consultants together for the picks. Also, there is a new cup that is a competition between the four Shields in the pool. The name of the competition between the Shields clan in the pickem is called 'You Owe Me Etouffee.'" -- BR

"Man, that sucked for me..... but what a great game that was last night!!! At least I did better than Ben! And i'm losing the Shields Cup!!" -- Beth S.

"I came out alright last week. That FSU/Miami game was a classic. One writer quoted Bowden as stating it was the third-best game he’d ever seen and that was saying something since Bowden had been around for 80% of all games played - ever. A couple of comments about the Oregon/BSU game. First, I was wrong about the Oregon unis – they looked almost angelic with the all-white and the wings on the shoulders. Speaking of angelic, as much as Blount is being demonized for his meltdown, you have to respect the one-punch knockdown. A co-worker here likened Hout’s performance to Glass Joe in Punchout." -- Jeff G.

No comments: