Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Five Things

Brought to you by Five Guys Burgers and Fries, opening soon in North Little Rock (LR 1, NWA 0) ...

1. I think I'm conflicted about the University of Arkansas pay-per-views.

Once again, if you ponied up good money to watch a UA PPV, you were disappointed. If you were on Cox Cable, you missed the first 20 minutes of the game. If you weren't on Cox Cable, you saw a "Touchdown Falcons!" graphic after one Razorback score and a "Touchdown Cardinal!" graphic after another one. That's right, somebody with ISP put the names of Bobby Petrino's two previous employers into the graphics for the Arkansas game.

That said, the PPV does enable fans not willing to subject themselves to the hellhole that is War Memorial Stadium filled with drunks from Powhatan or Minturn on a water-logged golf course. So, the PPV has that going for it. But that ain't sayin' much.

2. I think that all football players should learn from the Oregon-Boise State debacle.

LeGarrette Blount's cheap shot of a Boise State player following the Fightin' Phil Knights loss on the Smurf Turf should be talked about in every college football locker room. No, the lesson is not "Don't let your emotions cause you to flip out, make a stupid mistake and ruin your career." It's also not "Fighting with your teammates is worse than fighting with the opposing team."

No, the lesson to be learned was taught by the punchee, Boise's Byron Hout, not the puncher.

Kids, always wear your helmet on the field. You never known when it'll come in handy.

Bonus Lesson: If you throw a blindside punch, make sure you knock the other guy smooth out. Hout immediately got to his feet and, if not for 50 people in the way, would have killed Blount.

3. I think this might be offensive, but it's too funny not to post ...



(Thanks EDSBS!)

4. I absolutely know ESPN/ABC will make me loathe Kenny Chesney.

Why, exactly, does college football need some popular musical act playing a custom song? Does anybody think "Holy crap, I wasn't planning on watching FSU-Miami, but gooooooolly there's Kenny Chesney!!!"

Now I know what you're thinking. Scott, you think, you already hate Chesney because you're a Parrothead and Chesney is like a mini-me version of Buffett with less talent and even less hair. He's drafting off Buffett's wake, so you hate him. Point taken.

But I'm also a huge DMB fan* and I abs-freakin'-lutely hate using music and video from the band's new album as bumper music.

What really hacks me off more than anything, however, is that I can see more music videos while watching 12 hours of ESPN college football coverage than I can in 24 hours of watching MTV or VH1.

I WANT MY MTV (Circa 1986, before "The Real World" started America on a downward spiral to reality TV hell.)

* - Who'll be at Dickey-Stephens for the show with Gregg Allman? Meet for beers at the Irish pub before the show? Also, note to Poolsville editors, "Five Things" will be a day or two late that week.

5. As always ...

Your weekly Pammy Standings from Awful Announcing are here.

The SportsJournalists.com Top 25 is available here.

M8B Prediction

Since Arkansas is off this week, we turn to the biggest game of the weekend: Will USC beat Ohio State?



(Views expressed by the Magic 8 Ball do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog, the blog owner nor this post's author. Advice from the M8B is for entertainment purposes only and not for actual wagering ... especially since Magic 8 Ball is 1-1 this season - though it still expects Shields to bring up the GSD before the month ends.)

1 comment:

Pool Jones said...

I totally understand about the bump music, but I have had "Why I Am" in my head since Thursday thanks to college football, and that's a good thing.

See you at Dickey-Stephens!