Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Things I think I think

1. And so the Nutt-pocalypse is upon us. But am I the only one underwhelmed by the buildup for it?

Chalk it up to a 3-4 record for Arkansas or snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, but things seem awfully sedate heading into this game. I suspect this will change by kickoff as the "atmosphere" (aka the BAC of the crowd) will have Razorback fans yelling things at Nutt that will make their mothers blush.

Note to LR readers: Don't think this means more Razorback fans are regretting Nutt's termination (and that's what it was). Arkansas would be 3-4 or worse, with him chewing his fingernails on the UA sideline.

2. I think even jocks at Cal-Berkley (Those hippies can ball!) can be dumb jocks.

Witness the case of a Cal football player and former football player. After hearing word a member of the Cal rowing team was allegedly making racial slurs, they decided to rob his dorm room as payback. But they held up the wrong rower.

Oops, wrong room.

3. I think Iowa State shouldn't run the smoke machines so much ...



4. I think if Jemele Hill was suspended by ESPN for referencing Hitler in a column last summer, then Lou Holtz should be suspended for referencing him on TV. Seems like common sense, right? Not at The Worldwide Leader.

I don't think I think, I know Hill was more gracious than I'd be in her shoes.

The last couple days I've been inundated with calls and e-mails because of the Lou Holtz controversy. He made an inappropriate Hitler reference. I made an inappropriate Hitler reference. We both apologized, but only I was suspended.

A lot has been written about this. Many have said that ESPN treated me unfairly. The 64,000 question: How do I really feel?

My initial answer is a story, or rather, a moment. A couple years ago, I was visiting the Poynter Institute, one of the foremost journalism think tanks in the country, and I sat in on a session taught by one of my favorite columnist and people, the Washington Post's Sally Jenkins.

A student asked her if she ever got upset when other writers rewarded — particularly if she knew they weren't as good. And Sally said — and I'm paraphrasing here — that she always prided herself on keeping her eyes on her own career.

That's my answer. That's how I feel.


5. SportsJournalists.com poll master wonders the age-old question ... BCS, BS... what's the difference?

Week 8 Pammy Award nominees ... Awful Announcing: Your Week Eight Pammy Nominees

Magic 8 Ball Predictions

Will Arkansas cover the spread (currently OM by 5.5) against Ole Miss?



What's this "Ask again later" junk!?! It's Wednesday. It's time for our weekly post. You don't pull that stunt today. This is a two-chinstrap blog. This is a special, precious blog. Don't make me put three points of pressure on you, Magic 8 Ball, until you crack apart.

So let's try this again ... Arkansas is a 5.5-point homedog to Ole Miss. If you bet on Arkansas plus the points, will you win?



(Views expressed by the Magic 8 Ball do not necessarily reflect the views of this blog, the blog owner nor this post's author. Advice from the Magic 8 Ball is for entertainment purposes only and not for actual wagering ... even though Magic 8 Ball is 3-1 in predicting Arkansas games.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are not the only one underwhelmed by the build up. Curious, isn't it.

But am I the only one wondering where the criticism is for Petrino's three up-the-middle plays in a row, his waste of Tyler Wilson's freshmen year, and the fact that he is allowed to call his own plays (which fans said not too long ago was a no no)?

Thank you, Magic 8 Ball. I've been waiting on your prediction.