Monday, September 01, 2008

A number to remember

Centerpoint Energy — After hours emergency
800-844-7440

Sunday morning
"Hi, I live at [redacted] and I don't have any gas coming into my house."
What's your account number?
"I dunno know"
Okay, give me your social security and your address.
"Okay. [Redacted]
You don't see to have any problems with your account. Are you in the house?
"Yes."
You are!?! Sir, you need to get out of your house immediately. You might have a gas leak.
"What."
Get. Out. Now.
"Umm, okay."
Have you called the fire department?
"No"
We'll have someone over immediately.


And let me tell you, Centerpoint's response was like the second coming of Jesus.
The best part? No gas leak. They had been doing some street work or something and had shut the gas off, but it wasn't logged or recorded anywhere.

1 comment:

Pool Jones said...

As another former winner, I hope the first thing you did when they told you to evacuate was pick up the Ramon Escobar Trophy and take it with you to that bar on Kavanaugh or wherever you "evacuated" to.