Monday, August 27, 2007

Letters to the football pool

This letter was enclosed with Chris Baldwin's $10 entry fee that came in the mail. I thought some of you might enjoy reading it.

Dear Matt:

Enclosed please find my ten dollar entry fee to this year's college football pool. I look forward to attempting to once again win the pot of money and the prestigious Ramon Escobar Trophy. I would like to get another trophy with the name plate on the other side so that I would have an impressive set of book ends.

Not a day goes by that I do not catch my eyes lingering on the fruits of my previous triumph -- the prestigious Ramon Escobar Trophy. Last year's weak and failed attempt for a repeat weighs heavy on my soul. I have decided to dedicate myself wholly to the quest for another victory in this illustrious competition. Then maybe I may regain the sense of purpose I once felt in what was becoming an empty meaningless college football fan.

May God deliver the college football season to us in all haste. May the life-giving waters of college football wash away the dust of months of mid-afternoon baseball games.

I leave you with my prediction of the Razorbacks going 8-4 with two of those losses being attributed to the poorly coached special teams play and the other two losses attributed to the fact that we lacked a passing game preventing our being able to execute a proper two-minute drill.

Sincerely,
Chris Baldwin

1 comment:

Sao said...

I too have a fire that burns. Burning hotter as the season nears and the selections come into view. Finishing second in 2006 feels as if I never competed at all. Empty.

There is only one who can extinguish the gastrointestinal flame deep inside me and his name is...Ramon.